cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Backup servers...which agent licenses?

Don_Hyde
Level 2
Hi,

Due to limits on our backup window, we have two Backup Exec servers each with tape media attached. We've got a about 20 servers to back up.

1) How does BE keep track of which servers all the remote agent licenses are installed on?

If for instance, we had 10 remote agent licenses and server #10 died or we didn't need to back it up any more, how would the licensing work?

Is there a limit as to how many times you can install the remote agent?

How can you reclaim the license for re-use if there is some sort of restriction?

I have just inherited responsibility for maintaining Backup-Exec and the related licensing and am running into a terrible time. Our servers here are constantly coming and going and it is almost impossible to keep track of which server has which remote agent installed.

If I install a remote agent from BE Server #1 to machine #1, can either of the BE servers back it up with out licensing issues?

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hi Don,

The licensing of the BE servers is totally dependent on the BE media server, the remote servers just have the remote agent software (no license).

If you have 20 remote servers then you need to install 20 remote agent licenses on the Media server or you can install 10 licenses on server 1 and 10 licenses on server 2 to divide the backup.

If one server is moved or replaced it doe not effect the license as BE looks at the number of licenses installed on the Media server and does not track the remote servers by name or IP .

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Don,

In addition to the previous reply posted, you can go to the tab Help-about backup exec -license information on the media server and check the licenses that are installed on the server.
So long as you have the agent installed on the remote server and the remote agent service running, Backup exec will be able to identify the server and back it up.

Hope that answers your query. In case of further doubts, do write back to the forum.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Don_Hyde
Level 2
Thank you for your replies!

Last question on this thread I guess...

Please correct me if I am wrong here...I am guessing from your replies that the BE software does not physically prevent you from installing the remote agent on more machines than you actually have licenses for? That it is kind of an "on your honor" system as far as the install of remote agents (& open file & SQL agents, etc...) is concerned?

Thanks again!

-DH

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned previously the remote agent is not bound to any IP address or name.

You require one remote agent license for each remote server.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.