cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 R3 BE Remote Agent Compatibility

robosull
Level 4

I would like to have some clarification if may, I'm currently using Backup Exec 2010 R3 32-bit Media with SP2 and the following hotfixes installed on this box hotfix 180429, hotfix 176937, hotfix 191248, hotfix 194471, and hotfix 195395.  I would like to know, if I'm able to backup a Windows Server 2008 64-bit O/S R2 enterprise server with SP 1 installed using the above mention 32-bit media server.

If I'm able to backup this 64-bit server using the 32-bit media server would, I be able to use the 64-bit remote agent that is installed on the 32-bit media server?

I'm posting this inquiry here because, I have seen a lot contrary information on Symantec web concerning the above question.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It doesn't matter what the OS of the media server is and what it's backing up. If your version of Windows (both for the media server and the remote servers) is listed on the SCL, then it is supported.

In your case, using an x32-bit OS for your media server doesn't prevent it from backing up the x64-bit remote server. When you push-install the RAWS agent from the media server, it will detect the version of Windows running, and then install the relevant RAWS agent (in this case the x64-bit).

I've backed up 32-bit remote servers using an x64-bit media server and vice versa.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It doesn't matter what the OS of the media server is and what it's backing up. If your version of Windows (both for the media server and the remote servers) is listed on the SCL, then it is supported.

In your case, using an x32-bit OS for your media server doesn't prevent it from backing up the x64-bit remote server. When you push-install the RAWS agent from the media server, it will detect the version of Windows running, and then install the relevant RAWS agent (in this case the x64-bit).

I've backed up 32-bit remote servers using an x64-bit media server and vice versa.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

CraigV is correct, however If your 64 bit remote server happens to be running MS Exchange 2007/2010/2013 then it will need to be a 64bit media server. This is a limitation of the interface calls used to protect Exchange (especially if GRT is enabled)  and not specifically a problem caused by the 64 bit agent with 32 bit media server.

robosull
Level 4

Thanks, for the clarification.  I was confuse because when I contacted Symantec Tech Support, I was informed of the opposite and I didn't think that information was correct.