cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9.1 compression on a dat72i

Not applicable
hello,
we are using 9.1 with SP1 on a HP dat72i drive.
compression works if using the hp diag tools, the job log shows compression is being used but gives no stats on the ratio.

i have tried using the veritas drivers and the hp drivers - no difference in performance.

hp have replaced the tape drive with a new unit - however both units show the same behaviour.

currently a max of 36gb is put onto tape before the job asks for another tape.

my question is, what else can i do to test this or to resolve this problem before we consider opening a support call with veritas, that is if it's worth opening a support call on this problem seeing as others seem to have the same problem without a clear fix or answer.

it's 9.1 sbs edition by the way.

thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Twice the native capacity of a media is usually given as the maximum possible amount of data that could be written to a tape. It should be noted that this figure is rarely, if ever, achieved. This is due to the varied types of data that are found in most environments. Each data type has it's own compression ratio and therefore no standard is achieved for the total compression ratio that results. For example; database data, executables and graphics files generally compress the least, and regular text and data files will compress the most.

Clean the device per the manufacturer's recommendation and if required, reboot server and recycle power on the drive to clear any error.

In addition, you can cross-check the compression ratio from Windows native backup utility (ntbackup) with hardware compression enabled (select the same type/amount of data to backup). Should the problem persist with ntbackup, contact respective hardware vendor for further clarification.

For reference:
---------------------
Title: How to determine the total bytes written to a piece of media within VERITAS Backup Exec http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235307.htm

Title: Backups fail to get double the amount of the native capacity recorded to a media, even when hardware compression is being utilized.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

Hope this helps.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas