cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Back up to Local Disk Storage and then Duplicate to Cloud Deduplication Storage

Ken_Johnson_II
Level 2
Partner

We would like to have a local backup of our servers to a normal disk storage device in Backup Exec. This will allow for fast restore times. But we would also like the benefits of ransomware protection that cloud deduplication with immutable storage provides. So, we created a job that backs up to the local disk storage device and then runs a Duplicate job that has the cloud deduplication storage device as the destination. There are no errors from the job configured this way and we verified that the retention lock is being enabled properly in the immutable cloud storage. The problem is that the Duplicate job log shows this.

Deduplication stats: scanned: 0 KB, CR sent: 0 KB, CR sent over FC: 0 KB, dedup: 0.0%, cache hits: 0, rebased: 0, where dedup space saving:0.0%, compression space saving:0.0%

It seems that with this method we are getting immutable backups but not any deduplicated data. Is the log incorrect or does this method really not deduplicate anything?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the cloud storage is in Azure. We properly created the local deduplication volume and the cloud deduplication device with immutability support. I'm not asking for any help in setting that up and I have verified that the deduplication part of that is working if we backup straight from the server to the cloud deduplication device as shown here.

Deduplication stats: scanned: 1129257857 KB, CR sent: 11590580 KB, CR sent over FC: 0 KB, dedup: 98.0%, cache hits: 8887711, rebased: 2994, where dedup space saving:98.0%, compression space saving:0.0%
0 REPLIES 0