cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A downside to multiple streams to disk in BE10?

Level 2
I am thinking of using a disk to disk to tape strategy for my LAN backups and I am curious what downsides there may be to running the maximum 16 streams at a time to my Raid 5 device.

My LAN is GBit so I my network should be robust enough to see good performance.

Also, when I copy the disk backups to tape, will the 16 jobs append to a single tape cartridge? I have a single Standalone LTO 2 drive that fits (currently) my backup data onto one tape, and I am hoping this will still be the case for disk backups.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Watson
Level 4
From my experience, your disk subsystem may be a bottleneck depending on the attachment. We use FibreChannel to SATA drives and the more disk functions concurrently running, the slower the through put.

If you only have the one tape device, your duplication jobs will probably append as you want, as long as the media policy allows it.

Jason_K
Level 4
If you are currently running 16 jobs simultaneously to 1 disk, you can experience read and write delays, due to the amount of data being pushed to the drive.

In Backup Exec there is a function that is called a "Duplicate Job", which you can run either following the completion of a backup or after the fact to duplicate an existing set. This would be the ideal way to place the data from disk to tape. If you just back up the BKF flat files, you will have to restore them first, and then inventory and catalog the files.

If a duplicate job is used, you will simply be able to stick the tape drive and restore, sometimes you do have to perform an inventory.

Level 2
Thanks!