cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata

WST2008
Level 2

Hi there
We recenetly upgraded our server from Windows 2008 Server to Windows 2008 Server R2.
We have unsuccessfully being trying to back up the files on the server since the Operating System change - prior to this we could backup the files.

The error that we receive is:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Monday, 31 August 2009 at 10:24:15 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Final error category: Resource Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65225

Errors:
Backup- ADL-SPS-P01.WST.localV-79-57344-65225 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.V-79-57344-65225 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

I have followed the links to verify that the Shadow Copy Service has been sent to manual - and has been started but the error still occurs.
I have tired to use the backup software to backup a small number of files with the Advanced Open File Option turned off.
I have re-installed the remote agent twice and rebooted the file server a number of times with the same error.

Any suggestions of what to try next?

Cheers
Jason

4 REPLIES 4

WST2008
Level 2
I found a work around as many other people may find out after they've deployed a Windows 2008 R2 file server that they can't back it up.

The bottom line is that 12.5 Backup Executive doesnt support R2 releases yet.

I followed the instructions from this link and now my backups are not failing:
http://gnawgnu.blogspot.com/2009/08/windows-2008-r2-backup-exec-and-failure.html

This was the parent link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-125-server-2008-r2-rtm-x64-errors

Hope this saves some people some time :)

WST2008
Level 2
Backup Jobs take forever to finish - 4 hour job has been going for 16 hours - so this is probably not a good work around

jsweber
Level 2
I just tried this and I am running a systemstate job so let's see how long this takes...

jsweber
Level 2
It took about 13 minutes which seems long to me but I'm just getting started with BExec so not sure what the averages are..