cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A simple question about Media Rotation (Overwrite and Append Periods)

Jon_Osborn
Level 3
I am new to Symantec Backup Exec and I know this is a simple question but it just not clicking in my head. The Overwrite and Append periods descriptions in the help file seem confusing and I can�t get the server to backup the tapes the way my boss wants. We have an 8 Tape changer and 3 sets of 5 tapes (15 tapes total). I have them all in one tape set. We do a full backup of our system and only use about 20% of the tape. What happens is we fill up one tape before it moves to the next, which takes about a week. What we would like it to do is to do a full backup to one tape; the next day to different tape, and so forth (1 day per tape, 5 tapes is one work week). On Mondays I swap tape sets and it starts over. Once the tape has filled (several months later) have it over write the data then. Basically it will allow us to keep old data for a very long time.

What do I need to set my Overwrite and Append periods as?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Jon
3 REPLIES 3

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The better way to accomplish your goal is to partition the loader.

Make Slot 1 a partition and use it for Job 1
Slot 2 a partition and use it for Job 2
Slot 3 a separate partition for Job 3...etc...

To create a partition right click the icon for the library and select Configure partitions.

If you must use Media Sets...

the overwrite protection level of a media set is calculated from the time the job ends and is extended each time a job runs to that tape in an append operation.

The append time does not extend with each backup.

Once the Append period has expired and the Overwrite Protection period is still enforced the tape cannot be written to and should be moved to Scratch Media for immediate use or wait until the Overwrite Protection period has expired so the media can be overwritten.

From your description it sounds like the following will work:
Overwrite Protection period 2 days.
Append period 1 hour
Set the backup job to Overwrite.
Set the Media Management in Tools > Options > Media Management to ovewrite scratch media first.
Move all tapes into scratch media.

But I would prefer using Partitions for the granular control you want.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry - had to correct some math ;)

As Perry says, use partitions. it is the ONLY way to gurantee that a given job will write to a specific tape.

But I would use APP and OPP in addition to partitioning.

if you can get a full backup on 20% or less, I'd set the OPP to 13 days and the APP to 28 days

Then set your job(s) to Append, Else Overwrite. the first time you use each tape, the job will overwrite, the next four times it should append, and the sixth time it should overwrite again

'Course this will only work as long as the backup is 20% or less each week :)

Message was edited by:
Ken PutnamMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Jon_Osborn
Level 3
I went ahead and did the partions. Should work fine. Thanks for the help, I didn't know you could do that.

THanks,
Jon