cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO Cache File

Scott_Goethals
Level 3
We currently have a backup job scheduled to run using the AOFO option. My log files indicate that there isn't enough diskspace to create the file.

I am hoping someone can confirm what I believe takes place when this happens.

I assume the cache file is a snapshot in time of what the drives look like, and if there isn't enough space, the backup still completes, but there could be a consistency issue since the state of the files could change during the backup.

Am II correct in my understanind that the backup still completes even if the cache file cannot be created?

On another note, is it true that I can move the cache file to another volume provided the volume is not part of the current backup set? I also understand that the cache file can only be created on the same machine, and not on another machine. Is this also true?

I appreciate any info I can receive.

Thanks.

Scott
7 REPLIES 7

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

When a job is submitted for backup with the Advanced Open File Option selected, a virtual point-in-time view of each volume is created. Original data is buffered on the static volume when changes are made to the files during a backup. Buffered data is then backed up, not the changed data. If the files selected for backup reside on more than one volume, Backup Exec creates a static volume for each volume containing data to be backed up.

Refer the Link given below :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275975
Basic Backup Exec Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) information

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266190.htm
*Page 977 onwards

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool

Scott_Goethals
Level 3
I understand that the cache file is a snapshot. However, what happens if there isn't enough diskspace to create the file? How does the backup job handle this? It appears from my logs that the backup still takes place. Does it revert to a file-by-file backup if there isn't enough space to create the cache file?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To know more about the chache file, please read the following technotes :

How does Advanced Open File Option calculate static volume size and location with Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256762

How to change the default location of AOFO cache in Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268450

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Scott_Goethals
Level 3
I read the document you referred me to, however it still doesn't address the question or my concern. If I don't have enough diskspace for the cache file to be created, how does Backup Exec handle this?

The document talks about how to calculate the size and how it works, but not what happens if it can't create the cache file. I am sorry if I am coming across harshly, but I have a situation where I don't have enough diskspace to create the file, yet it appears that the backup job is still successful. I just need someone to explain how the software handles this.

According to my logs, I have backed up 205G of data. Can I expect that assume everything is backed up even though it didn't have enough diskspace to create the cache file?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Scott,
- Normally the cache file size calculation is done automatically by Backup exec; you can modify this if you via the wizard. The server on which it is created however cannot be modified as you stated.

- If there was not enough space the backup would have ended in errors.since this did not happen there was evidently enough space to create the cache file.

- To verify the consistency of the data backed up please run verify after backup. In the job log you can verify if the backup was completely successful and whether files were skipped or ignored.The number of bytes backed up and verified(in case it is checked).
- restoring the data to an alternate location is the best way to check the data backed up and also the consistency of the backed up data.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Scott_Goethals
Level 3
Thanks for the additional information.

My backups do contain errors. I receive errors regarding "unablt to get minimum quiet time for physical volume" and that the cachebroker is unable to allocate enough disk space.

Although I receive these errors, it appears that I still am backing up over 200G of data. Job Monitor reports that my jobs are successful with Exceptions. The errors are the one I listed above.

Yet, if I try to restore something from tape, it appears that I am successful.

This is why I was wondering how the software handles not having enough space for the cache file. Although I don't have enough space, it does appear that things are working properly. I am at a loss as too what to do. Should I install an additional drive that is not part of the backup set just to hold the cache file?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Scott,

Does the issue still occur? Could you please update us on the issue

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.