cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Server service stops on inventory

Todd_Sales
Level 3
I've installed Backup Exec 10d Evaluation version on my server with SCSI attached, two drive library. Every time I do an inventory to the library, the library runs through, mounts and dismounts all the carts in the library, then promptly fails after the last is unmounted from the drive. It appears the the Backup Exec Server service simply halts at that point, with an "abnormal termination" message in the sys event log.

- I have turned on Debug on the job engine and remote agent services. The only thing the generated logs display at the approximate time of the failure is -

04/03/06 16:33:23 DeviceManager: timeout event fired
04/03/06 16:33:23 DeviceManager: processing pending requests
04/03/06 16:33:23 DeviceManager: going to sleep for 900000 msecs

- I ran the diags without seeing any obvious (to me) errors reported.

- I have been able to successfully run initialize and backup jobs.

- After the failure, the service seems to (manually) start and be fine until I run another inventory.

I am a new user, so I realize I could be missing something simple. I have tried to search the documentation and forum.

Thanks,
Todd Sales
13 REPLIES 13

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Does the problem occur if you try to inventory a Backup to Disk folder.?

Are bar code rules enabled for the library?

Run the "Initialize" followed by "SCAN" operation and then try the "Inventory" option.

Please refer to the following link:

Proper use of the Backup Exec for Windows Servers autoloader option with a bar code reader

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190875

Hope it helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Todd_Sales
Level 3
Thanks for the help.

- An Inventory of the Backup to Disk folder completes successfully.

- I ran an Initialize (successful completion), then Scan (no status reported), then an Inventory; this failed as before

- I'm looking into bar code rules now, but had not implemented or modified anything after the standard installation.

Thanks again!

Todd_Sales
Level 3
In Appendix K of the admin guide, I find a statement that says "the SCSI ID for the robotic arm must precede the SCSI ID of the drives".

The device configuration wizard automatically displays the 2 installed drives (SCSI IDs 1 & 2) and the library control (SCSI ID 6).

I did not install the Overland Storage library, but have to assume this is a standard configuration/installation. (I hate to change the default config if unnecessary.)

Is this condition suspect for possibly causing this problem???..

Thanks again!

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Todd,

We would suggest you to change your SCSI IDs. You can make those IDs like
robotic arm =2 and drive= 3 and 4.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Todd_Sales
Level 3
I've implemented that change in the library SCSI config. But it still fails with the same indications.

I'm continuing to try to dig deeper, but would be very appreciative for other suggestions.

Thanks again!!!..

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Todd,

Have you loaded the latest drivers?

Install the latest drivers with the help of this link:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d (10.1.5629) - Device Driver Installer (20060215) - Includes Tape Driver Release (09) and Robotic Library Release (52) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281696

Hope this helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Todd_Sales
Level 3
Just found your response this afternoon. I'll load these within the next day.

Todd_Sales
Level 3
These drivers did not correct the problem.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please perform a repair database. Open BEUTILITY.EXE from \program files\veritas\backup exec\NT.

Select All media server by right clicking, add the media server and select repair database from the task pane on the left.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Todd_Sales
Level 3
I ran the BEUTILITY as prescribed, re-ran an Init, selected a scan, then restarted an inventory. Once again the inventory mounted all the resident tapes.

After mounting the last tape, I watched the Job Monitor screen. After the last tape was un-mounted, I saw the job status percentage at 50%. It then proceeded up through 91% (getting my hopes up that it was going to complete successfully). But it then got the 'ODBC access error' message that pops up when the Backup Exec service crashes (along with the corresponding "Communications are down...").

Meanwhile, all my ad-hoc and scheduled test backup jobs complete successfully.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- could you please Update us on the issue...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Todd_Sales
Level 3
Per my replies posted above, I've followed all provided recommendations, but the error persists. I've also de-installed & re-installed the s/w, but no resolution.

Meanwhile, all other operations appear to function as expected. (Only the Inventory jobs fail.)

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.