cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO and Skipped Files

adrian_smith
Level 3
Hi

I have installed the AOFO component to try and stop my backups failing due to skipped files because they are in use. However my backup still continues to skip files stating that they are in use:-

Example
Backup- D: The item D:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\store.fcl in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\SERVER1.log\20060602.log in use - skipped.

Now I know that these are not important files but because they are skipped it gives me a failed backup status. I could just omit them from the backup but would like to know why AOFO cannot cope with them and therefore what was the point of buying AOFO.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Hanz_de_Vries
Level 3
Hi Adrian,

I'm not sure why AOFO cannot backup those files, but I do know you'll always have some backups with exceptions. That's why there is a registry setting so the jobs won't fail if it encounters exceptions, but is reported as 'Completed (with exceptions)'.

See http://support.veritas.com/docs/193940 for details.

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
Did you enable AOFO in the job. Does the job log details show AOFO starting?

adrian_smith
Level 3
Yes I enabled the AOFO component in the job and it does start.

I know of the registry key but I purchased AOFO and would like to find out why it doesnt do what it says i.e. backup open files.

Thanks

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
So you in job log you see "AOFO: Initialization on: "X:". Advanced Open File Option used: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP). Started"?

and not AOFO: Initialization failure on: "x:". Advanced Open File Option used: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP). or any excpetions as to why AOFO is not working...like min quite time , et c

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
The files are skipped due to these being opened or locked by some other application. AOFO is not getting the minimum quiet time,so you can try reducing it to 2 seconds.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

adrian_smith
Level 3
Hi Steve

Could you point me in the direction of the log so I can check and post here

Thanks

adrian_smith
Level 3
My understanding was that if these files were open that AOFO would back them up, under what condition will AOFO back up open files.

The files its complaining about i.e. temp internet history files are not being used during the night as the offices are not open.

How do I reduce the required quiet time.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

Troubleshooting the Open File Option message: "OFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume" or "AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes. Reduce the activity on these volumes, or wait and run the backup when there is less activity on the volumes." (a0008502 HEX or e0008502 HEX)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/194940

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.