cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO

Robert_Scheerho
Level 3
Hallo All,

I'm having a problem with AOFO. If have uninstalled the AOFO option from one server. This is because the server is replaced by a new one. And I have installed the new remote agent with AOFO option on to the new server. Everything is working on the new server.

But on the old server we still need to backup some files. So we install a remote agent onto the old server for file backup. Now the problem is when we backup the old server the backup job thinks that the old server still has AOFO installed and gives a error;

--------------------------------------------------------------error----------------------------------------
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Servername\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: The required module VSPAPI.dll cannot be found. The Advanced Open File Option may not be properly installed. Reinstall this option, restart the computer, and then run the job again.

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Servername\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: The required module VSPAPI.dll cannot be found. The Advanced Open File Option may not be properly installed. Reinstall this option, restart the computer, and then run the job again.

--------------------------------------------------------------error----------------------------------------

We have removed the server from the backup job. And added again. But this doesn't solve the errors.

Does anyone know a solution?
6 REPLIES 6

Stuart_Miller
Level 3
Have you got the use AOFO option selected in the backup job (might be selected by default)?

Robert_Scheerho
Level 3
Hi Stuart,

We have the AOFO selected in the job "Automatically select open file Technology" This is because we also have several other servers that are being back upped with AOFO. So backupexec should automatically select AOFO if it's installed on a server right?

Stuart_Miller
Level 3
I would suggest creating a separate backup job for the old server and not selecting the use AOFO option in that job.
I tend to have separate jobs for each server I backup from a BE media server, because you may (as you do) want different options for different servers. This also makes it easier to check backup job that have succeeded/failed. So if one job fails it doesn't necessarily effect all other jobs you have running.
Hope this helps

Robert_Scheerho
Level 3
Stuart,

It�s a good idea of the separate jobs. But the problem is that we have over 14 servers that are back upped by a tape robot with 2 drives in it. So we can only run 2 jobs atones

And the problem isn�t that the jobs stop or anything. It just gives an error on only the old machine.

Stuart_Miller
Level 3
I have a server which does nearly the same, 20+ servers backed up to a 4 drive library.
My jobs are staggered to start 1/2 hour after previous job starts, they will then just wait for a tape drive to become available the proceed with their backup (this is providing you set the append to media options up).
I originally set it up like this so as to make restore operations easier because you could see from the backup job history if the backup for a particular server had completed successfully and then would simplify the selection of what you require restoring.
On some servers I even go further and create seperate jobs for BE agent backups (e.g. SQL - my SQL database backup job is seperate from file system backup - so I can see straight away where any problems occur, and if any locked files or exceptions on file system it doesn't make my SQL backup say it's has completed succesfully)
It does take longer to setup like this but can save you admin time when it comes to checking backups and restoring data.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

The error "AOFO: . The Advanced Open File Option may not be properly installed" appears when attempting to use Advanced Open File Option in Backup Exec.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275898

Thank You,

Shweta