cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVVI and Linux +Oracle

IT_WHT
Level 4

Hello,

Is there any problem of using the AVVI on a Vm guest running Linux and Oracle? We currently don´t have the Oracle agent since we handle the archive files in adifferent way.

Regards

Roger

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Roger,

without the Oracle agent, you won't even see it. Loading AVVI will simply allow you to back up your entire VM, including the data inside of it, instead of just the data if you had only loaded RALUS.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Further to what Craig said, when you have the AVVI licence you are entitled to load RALUS or RAWS onto any virtual machine on that physical host without additional licences.  If you want to backup Oracle in a virtual machine, make sure that the configuration is supported and you would have to buy the Oracle licence.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi Roger,

without the Oracle agent, you won't even see it. Loading AVVI will simply allow you to back up your entire VM, including the data inside of it, instead of just the data if you had only loaded RALUS.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Further to what Craig said, when you have the AVVI licence you are entitled to load RALUS or RAWS onto any virtual machine on that physical host without additional licences.  If you want to backup Oracle in a virtual machine, make sure that the configuration is supported and you would have to buy the Oracle licence.

IT_WHT
Level 4

Lets say that I a full backup a Linux machine with Oracle installed it using Avvi. What would happen if I did a complete restore of the entire machine? What file´s would I miss?

CraigV

Hi Roger,

If you are backing up the VM with AVVI, it backs it up in its entirety. It does a full flat-file backup of all the *.vmdk files. That is if, as pkh stated, the setup is supported. You obviously cannot do a GRT restore like you can with SQL.

Laters!

CraigV

Hi Roger,

Any news here?

Thanks!

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Purchase an Oracle License and perform agent based backup

IT_WHT
Level 4

I have contacted Symantec support, and hope to have a solution this week.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you provide the case ID

IT_WHT
Level 4

Case 413-371-002

I have replied that I already have tried the steps that Jay suggests.

Regards