cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About handling 'archive bit' by 'Oracle full backup'

Masahiro_Tanigu
Level 2
At first, I'm not good at English. Could you please tell me when you can't understand I mean? I'll rewrite a part you says.

A part of Environment:
BE : BE 9.1 Rev4691
Agent : Oracle Agent

I did 'Online Oracle Full Backup' using Oracle Agent, I found that any files which is containing Oracle DB(*.DBF,REDO**.LOG) weren't modified regarding archive bit. their status(arhive bit) are still ON even though finished Backup.

So, I can't get any Incremental/Differential backup by using 'archive bits'.

I confirmed that other 'FullBackup' which doesn't contain any Oracle file. And I found It had no problem.(status of archive bits changed correctly.)

Any Idea/Suggestion are welcome.

Thank you for your reading my broken English.

Masahiro Taniguchi
2 REPLIES 2

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Symptom:
After a full online backup of an Oracle Database Archive Logs performed by the Backup Exec Oracle Agent, the Archive Bit will not be reset.
Solution:
A backup and restore solution that relies on the reset of the Archive bit on the Windows NT and Windows 2000 operating system prior to deleting the Archive logs after a Full Backup has been performed, is not a recommended strategy by Oracle.
During the recovery of an Oracle Database, Oracle will always reference the SCN (System Change Number) (Block Level) to determine what files are required for the recovery, and to what point the Database will be recovered to.
This method of file reference is also used to determine if a file will be backed up Incrementally or Cumulatively. Oracle does not use, or have any interest in, the Archive Bit of a file at the OS level for file reference. The Properties Sheet of Oracle files also differ from the Normal properties sheet found on Windows NT and Windows 2000 as indicated in
It has been found that even after a Full backup of the Archive logs that the Archive bit is not reset as indicated in Figure 2. This is a result of the file handling performed by Oracle and not a failing of Backup Exec. Once again, Oracle has no interest in the Archive bit, as it is never used as a reference for any database functions.
Acknowledgments:
Oracle University, Enterprise DBA Part 1B:, Backup and Recovery Workshop

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Masahiro_Tanigu
Level 2
Dear Renuk a,

Thank you for your support. I understood that a role of SCN files and in Oracle Agent, can't handle archive bit too.

my apologies for my lately response. I joined other work team temporary, and came back yesterday.

Regards,

Masahiro Taniguchi