cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied Error On Exchange When Backing Up

Stephen_Graham_
Level 3
I've recently upgraded our backup software from version 10d to 11d and since upgrading the backup fails with the following message:

'Backup- \\sername\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to database .'

I've checked out the relevant site in the support part of symantec website and have done what they suggest but it is still a problem. I've made sure that the backup exec account has full access to exchange which it does. It seems to back up about a third of the mailboxes then fails. It has full access to exchange. I'm using our administrator account which also has it's own exchange mailbox which it can access so I'm not entirely sure why I"m still getting this message. It wasn't a problem with v10d. Any help with this is appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

Bj_rn_Halstad
Level 4
Employee
Is this a brick level mailbox backup or a store backup?

Stephen_Graham_
Level 3
What do you mean by a brick level backp? I'm just using the default backup method of backing up exchange. It says backing up exchange store with the option to be able to restore individual mailboxes. There wasn't any other option that I could see.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Stephen:

You are using the Exchange Agent with the Granular Restore Technology (GRT) option. This is what lets you restore individual items from a full Information Store backup.

I have 2 questions for you

1) Are you backing up to tape
2) Do you have any disabled mailboxes in your storage group?

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Stephen_Graham_
Level 3
We are backing up to tape and yes, we do have some mailboxes which have been disabled. Is this the cause of the problem? If so, is there another way to back up individual mailboxes by individually selecting each one?

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Steven:

There is indeed, it is referred to as the Legacy Method. It is detailed in the technote below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285797.htm

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Stephen_Graham_
Level 3
I have now done as suggested in the technote you provided and enabled legacy exchange backup, but I am still having the same problem. Now not only does it give me an error message on the information store but also that it can't backup individual mailboxes...

Any help with this would be really greatly appreciated.

With this problem and the cataloging problem I'm beginning to wish I had left version 10d on as this was fine.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Stephen:

Can you provide debug logs of your backup job?

Stephen_Graham_
Level 3
How do I enable the debug logs? I tried doing as suggested in another articler, where you stop the backup exec remote agent service and then change the startup parameters with "-debug" in it but it hasn't created the beremote.log file. When I put in "-debug" in the parameters, do I include the quotation marks?

Bin_Fang_2
Level 4
You may set up the debug on the media server using SGMON. See the following link for more details: http://support.veritas.com/docs/190979

Have you tried this link for debugging on the RA side? http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Stephen,

In order to successfully backup mailboxes ensure you have an Administrative level account that has full control(this is easiest right to use) rights to other users mailboxes. This account must also have a mailbox on the mail server that is being backed up and this mailbox must be initialized(must be opened atleast once with a mapi client). When you choose to backup exchange from the selection list ensure that you are using the credentials of an exchange administrator account that has a valid mailbox on the server being backed up and has access to open all the mailboxes on that mail server.

Good luck.

Stephen_Graham_
Level 3
Just to update everyone, I have not had much luck getting the program to run in debug mode. I used SGMON the other night when the backup job was running which seemed to be going fine, although I didn't realise the program doesn't actually save the file once the backup job has saved which I must say is pretty rediculous, but anyway....I have since done further investigation on the security levels of Exchange and found quite a good article which explains in detail to...and have made some changes to the security so I will test it again tonight and see how it goes. Failing this I think i will just go back to version 10d since I had no problems with that. Version 11 just appears to be too buggy.