cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied, Exchange mailbox

Vegard_Sagbakke
Level 3
Hello,

I have a problem trying to connect to my mailboxes with BE 10d.
All i get is the account box where I'm able to choose an account.
I also get the Access denied error in this box

I have setup BE to run on its own backupexec account.
Created a mailbox for this account.
Set it up as a Exchange administrator with Full rights and removed any deny settings for the Receive and Send as.

I login on a pc with Outlook installed as the backupexec account and
I'm able to open all of the users mailbox folders.

Enviroment:
Media Server
-------------
Windows 2003 Sp1
Symantec BE 10d

Exchange server:
Windows 2003 Sp1
Exchange 2003 Sp1

any suggestions out there ?

- Vegard
24 REPLIES 24

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
I ran into this on version 10 SP1 and it turned out to be DCOM was disabled on the Exchange Server. See the KB Article for the details.
Document ID: 258565
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258565

Hope this helps!

Vegard_Sagbakke
Level 3
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the KB article and checked the DCOM settings and they are correct. The agent on the exchange server is working well when its backing up the Information Store and files on server. This seems to be one of the many questions about this Exchange agent.

I've also checked that the Backup Exec account is visible in GAL.

- Vegard

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Verify that the account being used has an active mailbox on the exchange server, that it is unique in the exchange organisation. The account should also be visible in GAL.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Vegard_Sagbakke
Level 3
Hello,

The account is visible in GAL. The account is active as I stated earlier I'm able to use this account in outlook and open it's own mailbox and all other mailboxes as well. This leads me to belive that I have all the correct rights for this account.

Is there any possibility to set up some kind of debugging on the agent on the Exchange server ?

- Vegard

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Create a new User with mail box, add it to domain admin groups, give exchange full admin rights, Configured the mail client for the new user
-- activate the account
-- Add the account in Backup Exec logon account
-- Log into Backup Exec using that account and then try running a backup job for Exchange mail boxes.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Vegard_Sagbakke
Level 3
Hello,

I tried your suggestion, but I get the same result. How come the new account is able to open all the users folders from Outlook. But get Access denied from within Backup Exec.

Can we do some kind of debugging ?

- Vegard

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please mention the exact error message so as to troubleshoot the issue.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Vegard_Sagbakke
Level 3
The error message:

Logon account "System Logon Account" failed to access "OKO-APL-01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes". Access is denied.

- Vegard

Sandro_Correa
Not applicable
I´ve same problem to access the mailboxes individually... but i get access the m$ information store normally and other resources of the server.

Windows 2003 Sp1
Exchange server:
Windows 2003 Sp1
Exchange 2003 Sp2

sandro

Joseph_Finley
Not applicable
I also have the same issue running 10d. I can access the C & D drives and files on the drives but I cannot connect or select "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes and/or Microsoft Exchange Public Folders". When I click, it prompts for a username. I have tried many different variances of users/admins. All the information is correct, it just refuses to connect resulting in:

"Logon account "System Logon Account" failed to access "SERVERNAME\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes". Access is denied.

I need to resolve this ASAP.

susan_white
Level 2
Am experiencing problems of a similar nature.

Backup Exec 10 rev 5484, SP3. Windows SBS 2003 (Not yet SP1).

First sign of trouble occurred following the SP3 update. Alerts even though they are set to cancel automatically after 1 hr (such as media remove), do not occur.

Errors in the logs begun with - V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Credential checks are all ok except SQL server (not sql backup exec), which stays as not tested.

DCOM is as should be.

Created a new backup job for testing purposes and the problem seems to be exchange related. I cannot select Exchange or Information store at all. In the normal backup job exchange is selected but greyed out meaning I cannot deselect them.

Running a test backup excluding exchange brings up the following error - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

A0F0 wasn't selected.

Also found the following files had been skipped

The item C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\store.fcl in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\TapeWare\database\TW6XXINS.TWD in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\TapeWare\database\TW6XXMED.TWD in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\TapeWare\database\TW6XXOBJ.TWD in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\TapeWare\database\TW6XXPRP.TWD in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{E7E6840B-D9A4-4BAA-AB2F-34C7A1606451}_3.img in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_DELLSERVER_00409.xml in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\adamm.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\security\logs\scepol.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\hmdebug.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\HTTPERR\httperr1.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\ex060215.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb in use - skipped.

Have planned maintainance on the server next week and need to ensure that we have a successful run of backups before then. Uninstalling/Reinstalling Backup Exec doesn't help.

Help!

Not applicable
Guys,

I've just installed 10.1 onto a brand new Exchange 2003 Cluster - Mailbox backups were working fine until the day before yesterday, all of a sudden they have stopped working - nothing have changed to the account. Have you guys gotten anywhere with your issues as I seem to be having the exact same problems. Suffice to say Veritas support were pretty useless.

Any help would be much appreciated

Ross_Verrall
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,

I seem to be having the same problem also.

My backups had been running successful for months, but all of a sudden they started failing with the error unable to attach to a resource, refering to the exchange mailboxes and public folders. When I run the credential tests it says access denied on both exchange mailboxes and public folders.

I created a new user, gave it domain admin rights and full exchange rights, but still when I run the credentials testing it still says access denied.

Anyone had any joy in fixing this yet?

Thanks

Ross

Scott_Bellingha
Level 3
I'm having the same problem. 10d & Exch 2003. Was working fine until installing SP2 for 10d. There have been several posts over the last month or so and not a single solution and very little input from Symantec. It seems that they're ignoring this issue or maybe just want to force us to upgrade to 11.

ptank
Level 2
> Hello,
>
> Create a new User with mail box, add it to domain
> admin groups, give exchange full admin rights,
> Configured the mail client for the new user
> -- activate the account
> -- Add the account in Backup Exec logon account
> -- Log into Backup Exec using that account and then
> try running a backup job for Exchange mail boxes.
>
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered
and would be moved to answered
> questions
pool.

The above is not a solution, it's what we like to call a "work-around". I actually am running BE9.1 but have had this issue in the past.
From what I see this is exactly what has happened to me:
I have BE running on Windows 2003 SP1 with the Exchange agent with the Exchange 2003 server (W2003/SP1).
Several months go by without a problem then WHAM, access denied error spawning from - "0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives."

This worked for months, nothing has change from the day it worked to the day it stopped working, no explaination.

I eventually created a user and after much toil, I was able to get it working again.

Today I got the error again and now when I look up selections under my main job, I get access deny errors when trying to connect through the Exchange agent to mailboxes???

I am not creating a new user AGAIN! This is ridicules, it is unbelivable that this issue has not even been addressed in BE v10, which I have scheduled to update to next month.

I called support the first time it happened and they were zero help, they wanted to blame the user account I was using (and had used for months) or the Exchange server or anything but BE and I eventually got fed up with them.

I wish I had an answer to this issue, Veritas/Symantec don't even know why this happens or their solution wouldn't be "Create a new user" ???

Even the support staffer who tried to help with this problem just left this thread and never came back. If you look, he asks a questions of the OP and then puts the standard "If you do not reply within..." and the next day the OP replied, you never see that EMPLOYEE again on this thread, did they quit? Fired?

ptank
Level 2
Bump - before it gets buried for another year.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Vergard,

Could you please Updte us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Rick_Goulding_2
Not applicable
I am having the same issue:

I have created "several" new accounts with Full Exchange Administrator, Enterprise Admin, etc. rights, mailboxes that appear in GAL, etc. and CONTINUE to receive "Access is denied" when selecting mailboxes for backup...I "can" select Public Folders and/or Information Store.

Veritas 10d / Exchange Server 2003 / Windows 2003 Server

Someone "PLEASE" help if you have a solution...thanks.

Dexter_Eugenio
Level 2
bump to this

i started a new thread, but thought i should add to this as i have the same problem

dEx

dextere@linkware.com.au