cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied to remote agent

Mike_Seitz_2
Level 3
We are running a pactched v10.d BE on a Windows 2003 server. When I try to backup a remote server it fails with error 0xe000fe29. Authentication failed on connection to server. Make sure the account has appropriate permissions and password is ok. The "backup" ID is a local admin / backup operator and also a Domain Admin. I can log onto the remote server with this ID ok. I have removed and reinstalled the remote agents. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Refer to the technote below in order to resolve the problem:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276184

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

aurora
Level 4
Sorry but I am fairly confident the above reply will NOT resolve this issue. The user can access the computer fine from the network so it will not be a policy that is blocking remote access from the network. By all means, try it though.

Here is my recommendation:

First of all, please check what user the service is starting under.

Click Start
Click Run
Type "services.msc"
Right click the appropriate service
Check credentials within the "Log On" tab

Also confirm that it has a status of "Started"

Could you also confirm the operating system of the remote machine and confirm that, if it's windows xp sp2, that the firewall isn't enabled and you are not running any third party firewall software on this machine.

Mike_Seitz_2
Level 3
thanks for the reply. I checked what you suggested. I did have to add domain admins. But sad to say it did not fix my problem. I also followed the recommended docs / suggestions, and still not resolved. I even removed and re-installed the remote agent.

Mike_Seitz_2
Level 3
Our Bavkup Exec server is running BE10d (patched) on a W2003 server (SP1). The NCi is 1 G (latest driver). RAM is 2 G. Its a newer HP DL360g2. I use a Backup ID (domain admin, enterprise admin, local admin, backup user, ADMIN everything to try and get it to work) and this ID backs up other servers with the same remote agent. The server I am having problems with is a back end exchange server. The backup ID can log in successfiully to the problem server from the console and it is an admin (local and domain). When I try to back up this server (even a local drive) and I check the credentials it passes. Yet the actual back up fails, server login authorization error as prevoiusly stated.
THANKS you the assistance ! Mike

aurora
Level 4
Have you gone into Network->Logon Accounts and made sure everything is set up correctly in there? Have you also re-typed the password for the account to make sure there is no mistake?

aurora
Level 4
I'm losing the will to support people on here. How the hell does the Symantec Employee get helpful answer for a post that so obviously wasn't going to help, if they understood the question properly? Yet I understood the question and was talking the user through a series of methods to troubleshoot the issue correctly?

Something isn't right :(

Does a user not get points for helpful answers? If so, I won't be happy because the points scheme is there for a reason and I'm sure people will understand my reasons for being unhappy.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.

-- Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following

Technote:

TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.