cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec

Rosemarie
Level 2
The backup operation appears to complete and is verified, but the end status is a fail....

"Job Completion status:
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.
Final error category: Other Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37912"

On following the link I am pointed to a document dated June 2004, that mentions the error in relation to an evaluation copy of backupexec and mssql problems.

I am using a fully licensed version of backupexec v10 for over 12 months. I have restarted all mssql / backupexec services. I have ran tteh test jobs successfully, and the backupexec diagnostics don't appear to show anything strange.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next to diagnose the problem?

thanks in advance,
Rosemarie
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Local or Network backups?

Rosemarie
Level 2
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to complete a local backup of the server. Previously I was able to do this and backup remote agent servers also. Everything stopped working in January/February.

I didn't want to just uninstall everything, afraid that the licensing might stop working as well. Any ideas?

Rosemarie.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

if a database repair  (see   http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180     ) doesn't work, uninstall/reinstal may be your only choice

See   http://support.veritas.com/docs/280710       to save all your local settings if you have to go that route

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 04-10-200707:44 AM

Rosemarie
Level 2
I have now managed to successfully complete a backup to tape for the local and a networked server.
However, the report is coming back that the backup fails with the error...
'0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec. Final Error category: Other Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37912'

This mentions that now I need an additional MS SQL Agent (licensed from Symantec)
I have a fully licensed edition of Backup Exec. I am not using an evaluation copy, and it was working before the SQL Database apparently corrupted itself.

Is scrapping all my previous settings, logs, jobs and starting from scratch again the only way to resolve all these issues?

Rosemarie

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
So you are backing up SQL on oen or more Remote Servers.  Do you have the appropriate serials installed on the media server?

You can try removing the SQL serials, stopping/starting the BE services and re-installing the SQL serial

Rosemarie
Level 2
Hi Ken,

Thanks again for your help. I have no serial numbers for SQL installed. They were not supplied with my original cd pack, and I was not told I needed them until recently, I only started having SQL Problems a few months ago. I was using the MSDE SQL default installed with backup exec, not a seperaten SQL Server. I wanted to back up the database from teh local media server.

Do I now have to go purchase serial numbers, over 12 months after the initial install? Is this a new requirement of Backup Exec I haven't been told about?

Thanks again for your time,
Rosemarie.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If the only SQL you have is the BackupExec database, then no, you do  not need a SQL serial.  Every night BackupExec creates a BEDB.BAK file you can use to recover the BE database

If you have reguklar MSSQL databases you want to backup, then yes, you will need SQL serials installed on the media server

Did anything happen about the time that this message started appearing?

Service to the OS?
Service to BE?
change of network topography?