Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic IDR Queries

Paul_Defiglio
Level 4
Hi!

Currently we use BE10 with an installed IDR module:

1. I want to protect another server on the LAN; do I need an extra IDR license to achieve this?
2. How would I protect a second server (apart from the media server). Would I need to attach the tape drive (and insert a SCSI card) or is there another method (the guide doesn't tell me a great deal).
3. The tape drive is an Autoloader (Dell Powervault 124t) - are autolader supported?

Many thanks in advanced!

Paul
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Personally, I think that IDR is a waste of money. it doesn't save any time at all, does EXACTLY what you would do, and operates through  a wizard.  and if you cannot do a manual restore, why are you the one doing the restore  in the first place?

Having said that

1)  Yes, you would need one IDR license for each machine that you want to perform IDR on.

2)  Backup as normal.  Create a boot CD specific to the second machine, boot/rebuild from that, let it re-boot, then restore from last tape from the media server

3)  As far as I know the answer is yes.

Paul_Defiglio
Level 4

Thanks Ken - thoughts much appreciated.

I didn't realise that the tape drive doesn't need to be directly connected to the server. There just doesn't seem to be any documentation to describe how the process works!

Cheers