Did you mean: 

Active Directory Recovery Agent Licensing

ricdanger
Level 4

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

• 1x BE Media Server
  • 2x Domain Controllers, for the same domain

I want to backup the system state of both DCs, but I want to granularly backup/restore ONE of them.
I was under the impression that I needed ONE Active Directory Recovery Agent for the DC I want to do granular, and one AWS for the other DC.

Now I see mixed info on BE site.

The Datasheet for Active Directory Recovery Agent says the following:
"Because of the replicated nature of Active Directory, not all Domain Controllers may need to be protected in your environment with this Agent. Agents should be purchased for key Domain Controllers where replication could be delayed."

The EULA states:
"You may use each individual copy of the Backup Exec Active Directory Recovery Agent on a single active Server running Backup Exec, whether physical or virtual, at any one time. An individual licensed copy of the Active Directory Recovery Agent is required for each Domain Controller to enable granular recovery from the specific Server running Backup Exec where the Active Directory Recovery Agent is installed."

Do I need one or two ADRA agent if I just want to perform granular on one DC?
I can't understand what "for each" means. Each DC that I backup? Each DC that I have on my network? Each DC I want to do granular restores/backups?
Any ideia how can I correctly license this environment with the smaller cost, while being compliant?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Ric,

I sat in training with Symantec where the trainer specifically told us we wouldn't need licenses for every single DC in the domain. Specifically your main DCs if you split your roles (GC, RID master etc), and definitely for any site DCs if you had remote sites.
What the EULA is stating is that for every DC you want GRT restores to be done from, you will need a license for ADRA, to enable restores from that particular DC.
So I would go with agents for your critical DCs, and then for any site DCs you might have. Your site DCs would be valid, depending on whether or not you have huge latency between them.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Ric,

I sat in training with Symantec where the trainer specifically told us we wouldn't need licenses for every single DC in the domain. Specifically your main DCs if you split your roles (GC, RID master etc), and definitely for any site DCs if you had remote sites.
What the EULA is stating is that for every DC you want GRT restores to be done from, you will need a license for ADRA, to enable restores from that particular DC.
So I would go with agents for your critical DCs, and then for any site DCs you might have. Your site DCs would be valid, depending on whether or not you have huge latency between them.

Laters!

ricdanger
Level 4
Great news :)
Thanks.