cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Open File Option with System State

Frank_White
Level 3
I currently use Backup Exec 10.0 Rev 5520.
The FULL backup consists of two servers and a total of roughly 200Gb of data.  If I were to run the full backup it would take 24 hours.
The media is a external hard drive connected to a usb 2.0 port on the server.
If I just backup the system state as its own separate job with AOFO on it takes 12 hours.  And the size is 60Gb.
If I do the same job just mentioned with AOFO off it takes 2 hours, and only backs up 49Gb of data.  Obviously this is because files are in use. 
But if the server were to crash and I would have to restore the system state, wouldn't I be re-installing the server OS anyway?  Those system files would essentially be restored.
Do I continue to backup the system state with AOFO on or off?  Or is there a way to shorten the time of this particular job. 
FYI: It is using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service Snapshot Provider: allow VSS to select.
Just as an after thought, if a company has to purchase the AOFO in order to get all the "in use" system files why even give you the option to backup the system state without it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Frank_White
Level 3
Thanks for your help.
The company actually had a tape backup system, but the tape drive was having all kinds of problems....
And my company only sells the Quantum LTO drives, that or exertnal HDs.  And the LTO was of course too much money. (they don't know what they are missing)
I am going to just run the system state once a week (with AOFO) since changes are rarely made. 
Once again thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

With System State, I'd continue to use AOFO. You never know what the impact could be of files that are skipped due to being in use. You'd end up reinstalling everything then...DNS/DHCP/Printers etc. having to be reconfigured from scratch.
You're correct in that you'd have to reinstall your OS from scratch if your server crashed, but unless you have an image of it, I don't think any other backup software has a work-around for this.
AOFO is now bundled with BE 12.5, so it seems as if Symantec have cottoned on to the fact that it's good to "give it to us for free".
The only way to look at shortening the times taken for your backups is to look at doing a Differential/Incremental job, which would mean 1 full backup for the week, and daily changes. Your daily changes being the way in which you would shorten your backup times. Your full backup would then run on a weekend, or say a Friday night when there isn't much happening.
If money is available, I'd look at buying a tape drive (or autoloader/entry-level tape library). This would run at SCSI speeds on a dedicated SCSI card (preferential), and make sure your 200GB gets backed up quickly.

Cheers!

Frank_White
Level 3
Thanks for your help.
The company actually had a tape backup system, but the tape drive was having all kinds of problems....
And my company only sells the Quantum LTO drives, that or exertnal HDs.  And the LTO was of course too much money. (they don't know what they are missing)
I am going to just run the system state once a week (with AOFO) since changes are rarely made. 
Once again thanks for your help.

CraigV
Did this work for you?

CraigV
Have you come right with this...?