cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Open File Option

John_Bibber
Level 2
Just in the past week we started having problems with the advanced open file option on one of our customers servers. We receive "The semaphore timeout period has expired." when we try running a backup with the open file option turned on, but everything works with it turned off. over the weekend, we tried uninstalling Veritas (9.0), and reinstalling it. We ran into problems reinstalling it due to our newer version of MDAC, so we installed version 9.1, which our serial numbers work with. 9.1 installed without any problems. I reconfigured the backup, and tried again. I am still getting the same error message. I have disabled the open file option for now, but I need a fix soon.

The event viewer log says:

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:None
Event ID:34113
Date:5/27/2005
Time:11:37:56 PM
User:N/A
Computer:
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "") (Job: "") -- The job failed with the following error: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below to resolve the issue:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258341

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

John_Bibber
Level 2
I tried that early on. When I get to the Logon screen, I enter the password, click Next, and get "The network path was not found". I did not change any of the default information on the logon window. I just entered the password. The "Select Server" and the "Domain" both say the same thing. This is for a website, and the servers are all servers unto themselves, not really part of a domain. Nobody has changed any of the server names or domain information. Changes to these servers are very tightly controlled with multiple approvals before anything is done. Only a couple people can actually login to the server to make changes. It was working fine for over a year until this started last month. We received an email from the server saying the backup failed. That was why we looked into it.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you are receiving the error message “The network path was not found” when you try to log on to a server in the “Advance Open File Option wizard”

The following could be the reason:

Check if the Remote Registry Service is stopped.

If the service is stopped, start the service.
And verify if you could select the server.

Please keep us updating on this issue.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool

John_Bibber
Level 2
That did the trick.

The remote registry service was stopped and disabled for security when the server was initially built. After starting the service, I was able to go through the wizard and change the time down to 3 seconds. I then ran a backup with the open file option which ran successfully.

Can the remote registry service be disabled again after this change has been made?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Yes this service may now be stopped.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.