cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on jobs and policies

Peco100
Level 2

Hi all.

I am looking for some advice or a reference to a document I can read which give the best practive for setting up jobs and policies.

I have browsed through the default best practive pages but none of the answer my particular question.

I have a clean install of backup exec 12 on a Windows Standard Edition server. It has AD, Exchange and Sharepoint. Whats the best practice for creating jobs and policies ? I have seen another client site where they have setup 3 seperate jobs, backing up each respective element as part of a single policy. Is this a good method ? Does anyone have a link to something that describes this or goves further information specifically regarding this ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no document that I know of that fits what you are looking for.  There are some documents which list the best practices for specific products, but there is no document which lay out the rules for all th jobs.  The flexibility of BE means that you can configure jobs and policies as you like.  However, you got to take the following into consideration when designing your jobs.

1) It is not recommended that you enable AOFO for database backups, like Exchange, SQL Server, etc.  Normally, we would separate the database backups from the flat file backups.  AOFO is turned off for the former and turned on for the latter.

2) Some installations like to have one big job to backup all that there is to backup while others prefer many smaller jobs backing up different resources.  The trade-off is: it is easier to schedule one job vs. re-running a big backup when the job fails.

3) Policies are mandatory for some cases, like taking incremental backups of VM's.  In some circumstances, like doing B2D2T, is easier if a policy is used.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no document that I know of that fits what you are looking for.  There are some documents which list the best practices for specific products, but there is no document which lay out the rules for all th jobs.  The flexibility of BE means that you can configure jobs and policies as you like.  However, you got to take the following into consideration when designing your jobs.

1) It is not recommended that you enable AOFO for database backups, like Exchange, SQL Server, etc.  Normally, we would separate the database backups from the flat file backups.  AOFO is turned off for the former and turned on for the latter.

2) Some installations like to have one big job to backup all that there is to backup while others prefer many smaller jobs backing up different resources.  The trade-off is: it is easier to schedule one job vs. re-running a big backup when the job fails.

3) Policies are mandatory for some cases, like taking incremental backups of VM's.  In some circumstances, like doing B2D2T, is easier if a policy is used.

Peco100
Level 2

That makes sence, perhaps that is wh our other client has multiple jobs in a policy. With this knowledge I will know how to look and check this.

Thanks