cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid to install BEWS SP2!

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
Greetings all!

I've been looking at past threads on SP2 problems and what I've read so far has made me feel very reluctant to install SP2 on my current BEWS 9.1 installation for fear of breaking things! I have found BEWS 9.1 to be very fragile and have encountered problems in the past. I do not wish to go through an ordeal of having to restore BEWS 9.1 from scratch. We run BEWS 9.1 on a Windows 2000 (SP4) server.

Has anyone installed SP2 successfully?

Thanks
Pierre
9 REPLIES 9

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6

> Has anyone installed SP2 successfully?

Yes, I installed BE SP2 and did not ran into any problems, it installed correctly the first time around. In my case it seemed to solve some of my problems although I am not sure, I was trying some other options at that time.

I do always make an image of the server of which I want to perform updates, BE or Windows for that matter, so if things go horribly wrong I can simply restore it.

Regards
A van der Boom

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
Thanks for replying. What do you use to take an image of the server? Ghost?

Thanks

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Yep, Ghost. We are testing Acronis at the moment to make images on the fly.

Regards
A van der Boom

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
I do have Ghost Enterprise here. It's at version 7.5
The server hosting BEWS 9.1 has RAID 1. Would Ghost work on RAID drives?

Thanks
Pierre

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Once we installed this update, our tape drive went offline.
If we opened the drive properties in the device manager, well the process would hang before we got there.
We removed the drive and reinstalled, power off and on etc.

The only way we got back online after running SP2 installer was to run tapeinst and remove the Veritas drivers.

Hopefully you had better luck with your install.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed answered' and would be moved to 'answered questions' pool.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
If it is hardware RAID Ghost probably wont have any problems with it but to make sure check the Ghost manual. What might make a difference are basic versus dynamic disks, but again check the Ghost docs.

Regards
A van der Boom

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

We would like to know if you tried the upgrade to Service Pack 2 for Backup Exec v9.1.

Kindly update.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.