cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Overwrite Protection period ends

tlitterio2
Level 3

We are using Backup Exec 2010 and I want to know if tape media become scratch media after the overwrite protection period ends or do I have to move it manually into the scratch media set?  If that is the case, is there a way to automate this?  Basically, once the overwrite period ends, i want to the tapes to be used for any backup...

Thanks!

Tony

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No media will not be moved to Scratch media set even after the overwrite protection ends. Media will be with the assigned media set until you moves it manually into the scratch media set. 

No setting is available to make BE to use, Recyclable media in one media set for other backup jobs which were targetted at some other media sets.

Basically, once the overwrite period ends, i want to the tapes to be used for any backup...

You have to assign the media to Scratch manually. If you perform any erase operation on the media, it will be automatically assigned to SCRATCH media set

Regards....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Basically, once the overwrite period ends, i want to the tapes to be used for any backup

This is the default behavior of BackupExec.  It will use any scratch or overwriteable tape it can find when it runs an Overwrite job.

The tape volume will be moved to the correct media set automatically once the header is written

tlitterio2
Level 3

OK, I guess we will have to deal with that...

Thanks for the help!