cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent for APPLICATION and DATABASES for Sharepoint (Licensing and components quiestion)

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear all. I need your assistence.

When I want to protect ONE SharePoint farm which consist of 3 servers I need to bye 1 license for Agent APPLICATION and DATABASES, and 2 additional licenses - Agent for Windows (it's from Licensing Guide).

The questions is:

1. Do I need additional licenses (Agent for Windows) to backup all these servers for bare metal restore (more precisely - to all backup of file systems of these servers), not only components of my sharepoint farm?
  2. Which components of my farm will backed up? Because I know, that main components (files) of SharePoint Farm is start page on IIS server, applications on APP server and SQL database on DB server. Does it backup, for example, my database which SharePoint uses?
  3. In case of using stadalone SharePoint server (with all three roles - IIS, APP and DB) what licenses do I need to purchase to protect both - OS and SharePoint.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Additional Agent for Windows licenses are not required for these 3 servers which make up the Farm. The existing ones can be used to back up file data.

2) Verbatim from KB ~

The SharePoint farm resource container represents the entire farm topology in your environment, including all of the SharePoint resources that reside on a single computer. When you select the SharePoint resources from the farm resource container, you ensure that you select all available SharePoint resources for backup.

3) Only 1 Agent for Application & Database. However, if you plan to back up other SQL DBs (the ones which are not Sharepoint related), you would require another Agent for Application & Database for the SQL backups, else not.

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks.

I have one more question.

I have first farm of  3 servers - 2 servers APP and WEB (mixed), and 1 server with SQL database instance for this farm.

And also I have a second farm of 2 servers - 1 server APP and WEB, and 1 THE SAME server from 1st farm with OTHER SQL instance.

Do I need two licences for Agent for Windows for this DB server?

What number and types of licenses do I need?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Just 1 Agent for Windows. If planning to backup non-Sharepoint DBs, then again, only 1 Agent for Application & Database license for these 2 SQL instances.