cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to BackupExec

Bill_Deans
Level 3
Hello,
I am still running BackupExec 8.6. I am thinking of upgrading my software to version 11 but after reading that there seems to be many problems with 11.
What other tape alternatives are there for Windows systems? Arcserve?
Please let me know what other vendors work will with Windows.
I have about 12 servers that are a mix of Win2000 and Win2003. A couple run SQL also.

Thanks??..
13 REPLIES 13

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Bill

I suggest you upgrade to Backup Exec 11 (prior to 10, which is direct from 8.6).
Most of the problems occuring with BEXEC 11 are related to new technologies no one else offers, so you may not use them until there is a fix.

BrightStor doesn't know what CASO, GRT, CPS or Synthetoc backups are.

Regards

Florida_Beach
Level 3
11d doesn't support upgrades from 8.x or earlier... It must be 9.0 or greater.. If you uncertain just wait a couple of months...

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Florida

That's what I meant when I said "prior to 10, which is direct from 8.6". Maybe my English is a little poor... To upgrade from 8.6 to 11 an intermediate upgrade to 9.x or 10.x must be performed first.

Regards

Bill_Deans
Level 3
If I do stay with BackupExec I would do a clean install.
It looks kinda scary reading some of the problems with 11 though...

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Bill

You can make a new installation. Then if you want to restore data written with BEWS 8.6 you will need to inventory and catalog the tapes, but it is possible.

I suggest you install version 11d, maybe in evaluation mode, and test if everything goes right.

Maybe your environment works fine if just need SQL agent and no others.

Regards

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I agree with David. With all the problems reported with 11d it would not be a good idea to jump to 11d without a great deal of testing.

You don't want to be explaining to upper management why there are no backups.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Bill,

Could you pleas update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Bill_Deans
Level 3
From what I have seen this program is scary....
I did a clean install on a system that also had a fresh OS install. I did a default install. I cannot connect to any of the other systems on my network via shared connection or domain connection. I get the error message of:
An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of xxx.
An NDMP request or reply is improperly formed and cannot be processed
Why would I want to buy this product if I cannot get it to work on a trial basis?
This is to bad because I was use to using a prior version.
I am now trying other vendors.....

Florida_Beach
Level 3
Sounds like the operator... not the product..

Bill_Deans
Level 3
That�s a great reply� Thanks for the support�. Odd that Arcserve backs up the same with no issues.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Bill,
Did you install from the console? If you install from terminal services you can have problems. Of course Symantec shouldn't allow you to install in a TS environment if it won't install properly, should they?

Bill_Deans
Level 3
Dennis,
Yes. All the installs have been from the console.

Bill

Kevin_Mattes
Level 3
I haven't used ArcServe in many moons, anyone move over to it yet? Any opinions?