cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of Shadow?Copy?Components

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
Hello,
Let me start of by saying that Volume Shadow Copy services are disabled on the only volume on the server.
However the Volume Shadow services are running.   We've had to disable the service because VSS was causing severe hangs on the server due to possible extreme I/O on the drives.
Now the question.  When I try to select "Shadow Copy Components" on the selections, I receive the error "An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of Shadow?Copy?Components.  A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Is my only option to turn the VSS service back on in order for this selection to be available?  Any other thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Rudy
2 REPLIES 2

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VSS is the only way that will enable you to take backup of "Shadow Copy components" and "System State" because this is the only option you have to save files that are actually in use.

What you can do is start the VSS service and disable all functions that create shadow copies on a regular basis (e.g. shadow copy protection for file shares, system restore with 2008, "previous file versions" etc; All these features will allow the snapshots to stay active for a longer time (thus leading to increased IO). Then the VSS copies should only get created when a backup is actually run and deleted afterwards which should limit the performance impact