cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Day Another Failed Backup

Randy_Blasik
Level 4
V-79-32772-8982 <-- This is the error I'm getting which when I visit the link I get "No Documents Matched your search"

This is the text:

Backup- \\VERITASCPS.myDomain.com\M: CPSExchangeDataV-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot can run at a time. Try running the job later.
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot can run at a time. Try running the job later.

Drive M: is Exchange CPS
23 REPLIES 23

Randy_Blasik
Level 4
Corey,

Your a hero I think that will do it.

-Randy

Rob_Walker_2
Level 4
From what I've read here am i correct with the following assumptions.

I cannot reliably backup my CPS data during working hours (i.e. when the CPS job is running). To me this defeats the whole purpose of CPS. I might has well back it up straight to tape.

Also, if I schedule CPS to stop whilst I back it up, will it have to do a full re-sync of the data when it starts again? If so then it's totally useless as with the amount of data I'm protecting it will take something in the region of 8 hours to complete this.

I can see the value in CPS for allowing quick restores and for restoring previous versions of files, but for anything else it seems totally useless.

David_Parkin
Level 3
I agree with Rob. What's the point of CPS if you cant back the thing up for long term storage. Even stopping the job is no good as the CPS services seem to affect the Tape backup speed. We have found that to get a good backup in a reasonable time window we need to stop the CPS job then stop the services.This is just not good enough in a product like this.
Symantec should not have classed CPS as a Backup Exec product if it will not work with the standard product.

Rob_Walker_2
Level 4
I've had another thought regarding this. The indexing component of CPS causes us a lot of problems. It uses a lot of memory and constantly falls behind, even on a dual xeon CPU server with a fibre attached storage.
We actually have no need for Backup exec retrieve and the search capabilities so I have recently installed CPS without indexing. I'm hoping that indexing is also causing some of the problems with backing up the CPS data, as it is constantly accessing files. Time will tell as I haven't run a tape backup of this data yet...