cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience upgrading to Backup Exec 2014 yet?

Artegic
Level 6

The Symantec engineers handling my currently open support cases have informed me that Backup Exec 2014 is out, and wouldn't I just try and upgrade in the hope that it might resolve the issues in question.

Frankly, I'm scared.

It took me nine months, half a dozen support cases, and countless posts to this honorable forum to get Backup Exec 2012 into a shape where I can say with conviction that I "have backups". I certainly don't want to repeat that experience. In fact I cannot afford to.

On the other hand, there are a couple of issues left which I would love to see fixed, including but not limited to the still open support cases, and I see most of these heading inexorably towards the "upgrade to BE 2014 or live with it" resolution, if not already there.

Is there already experience with upgrading from BE 2012 to 2014? What should I prepare myself for? How much time and manpower do I need to budget? Is there a step by step description of the upgrade process I can check in advance for problematic steps and necessary downtimes? What about the dreaded HCL and SCL? Is there a list of hardware and software for which support has been dropped? What is my way to back out in case the whole endeavour turns catastrophic?

Media server configuration:

• Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 4
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
  • Cisco UCS C22 M3S V02, dual Xeon E5-2440 quad core, 16 GB RAM
  • LSI MegaRAID with six 1 TB S-ATA disks in RAID5 configuration als local disk storage
  • Tandberg T24 LTO-5 changer connected to LSI SAS controller as main tape library
  • Tandberg standalone LTO-5 drive connected to Emulex FibreChannel controller as secondary tape drive

Backed up servers:

• one VMware ESXi 5.5 HA cluster
  • one virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 server (running on the VMware cluster but backed up separately through RAWS because Backup Exec 2012 AVVI cannot cope with a 2 TB disk)
  • one physical Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 server
  • itself
28 REPLIES 28

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For benefit of others I worked directly with FJR1300 to understand his issue with only backing up the shares when the remote agent has stopped and have officially involved engineering to review the findings

the issue is acknowledged in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH223572

Sayoungistan
Level 3
Partner

About upgrading from previous versions of Backup Exec to Backup Exec 2014

Before you upgrade Backup Exec, do the following:-

1) Delete the job histories and the catalogs that you no longer need to shorten the upgrade window.

2) Run a database maintenance job.

3) Verify that all available updates are installed for your current version of Backup Exec.

4) Locate your license information and verify that your licenses are current. You must enter license information for Backup Exec 2014 when you upgrade.

First Run the Live update for backup exec with latest updates:-

While update might be getting error LU1805:

Followed the below steps:

1)Downloaded the Live update 3.4.

2)Uninstall Live update version from Add/Remove programms.

3)From the windows explorer, go to the folder options and enable the option to "Show hidden files".

4)Delete the folder "Live update" from the Location c:\users\All users\Symantec.

5)Installed the Symantec Live update 3.4.

6)Open the Symantec Live update from control panel and select the " interactive mode".

7)Open a command prompt and run the command "c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\BeUpdateOps.exe -AddBE -OptOut" to re-register backup exec with live Update.

8)Launch the Backup exec and start the Live update and it was successful.

9)Installed all latest updates until no updates are pending to install.

10)Check whether Backup exec is up to date or not.

Start the Procedure for Backup Exec Upgradation:-

1) Downloaded the Backup exec 2014 software and License File.

2) Stop the SQL services of Backup Exec 2010.

3) Copy the Data and Catalog folder from Symantec root directory.

4) Start the SQL services of Backup Exec 2010.

5) Start the installation of Backup Exec 2014 by installing the setup as normal installation.

6) Added the License Files.

7) Backup Exec 2014 was installed successful.

8) Reboot the server.

9) Launched the Backup Exec 2014 and checked the backup Jobs.

10)Create a test policy job and run the test job which is successful.

How to install a typical installation:-

To install a typical installation of Backup Exec

From the installation media browser, click Install Products, and then select   Backup Exec.

If the required version of Microsoft .NET Framework is not already installed on this computer, Backup Exec installs it. The installation of the Microsoft.NET Framework may take some time.

On the Welcome panel, read the license agreement, and then click I accept the terms of the license agreement.

Click Next.

On the Installation Type panel, click Typical installation, and then click Next.

The Environment Check runs automatically.

Review the results of the Environment Check.

Do one of the following:

If the Environment Check does not reveal any issues that may prevent a successful installation of Backup Exec, click Next.

If the Environment Check reveals any issues that may prevent a successful installation of Backup Exec, click Cancel to exit the wizard. Correct the issues before you attempt to install Backup Exec again.

Select one of the following methods to add licenses:

To enter serial numbers manually or To import licenses from the Symantec License Files.

Next.

On the Service Account panel, provide a user name, password, and domain for an Administrator account that the Backup Exec system services can use.

You cannot install Backup Exec with an account that has a blank password on Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 computers unless Windows is configured to allow it. If you try to do so, the following error message appears when Backup Exec services are created:

The account name and/or password supplied is not valid. Re-enter the login information and try again.

You can, however, configure Windows to allow for blank passwords. For more information, see your Windows documentation.

If you want to change the directory where Backup Exec files are installed, click Change, and then select a new location.

If you change the directory to a new location, ensure that you select a secure location where you can store sensitive data such as passwords.

Click Next.

If the SQL Express Setup panel appears, perform the following steps to identify the location of the SQL Express setup file:

Click Browse.

Navigate to the location where you downloaded the SQL Express 2008 R2 SP2 setup file.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Review the Backup Exec installation summary, and then click Install.

Click Finish.

On the Remote Computers panel, do one of the following:-

To install the Agent for Windows on one remote computer:

Do the following in the order listed:

Click Add.

Select Add a Single Computer.

Type the fully qualified name of the remote computer or click Browse Remote Computers to locate the remote computer.

Under Remote computer credentials, type the credentials that Backup Exec can use to connect to the remote servers.

You must use Administrator credentials.

Click Next.

In the Destination Folder field, enter the path where you want to install the files.

Click Next.

After all of the computers in the list are validated and the list is complete, click Next.

To install the Agent for Windows on multiple computers using the same settings:

Do the following in the order listed:

Click Add.

Select Add Multiple Computers with the Same Settings.

Type the fully qualified name of the remote computer or click Browse to locate the remote computer.

Click Add to List.

Type the fully qualified name and then click Add to List for all of the remote computers for which you want to push-install the Agent for Windows.

Under Remote computer credentials, type the credentials that Backup Exec can use to connect to the remote servers.

You must use Administrator credentials.

Click Next.

In the Destination Folder field, enter the path where you want to install the files.

Click Next.

After all of the computers in the list are validated and the list is complete, click Next.

To proceed without push-installing the Agent for Windows:

Click Next.

Review the Backup Exec installation summary, and then click Install.

f you installed the Agent for Windows on remote computers, on the Remote Installation dialog box, click Next.

When the installation is complete, you can run LiveUpdate, choose to restart the system, view the readme, or remove the Backup Exec shortcut from the desktop.

Click Next, and then click Finish to exit the wizard.

If you chose to restart the system, the computer will restart automatically.

For reference:-

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98878
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98852

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...1 of those links has already been posted, but in future just post the links...no need to take everything out of what is contained in them.

Thanks!

FJR1300
Level 3

Update to my upgrade situtation: I now have the BE server crashing multiple times overnight during the backups.  Our catalogs have gotten corrupt and I cannot restore recently backed up files.  The tech support person escalated the issue Monday night, which according to an agent a minute ago, they had no one in the office today that could help me, so I'm out of luck again tonight.

Unacceptable, Symantec.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

so far i upgraded 4 BE Servers and have no problem.

Wes_Stewart
Level 4

Don't believe the hype of 100% faster backup.  Yesterday I moved a file server backup from my 2012 BE Server to my 2014 BE Server.

BE 2012:  Backup Size - 696Gb Time - 13:00:59
BE 2014:  Backup Size - 700Gb Time - 13:00:58

Both backups backed up to the same NAS.

kreynolds
Level 2

Cannot restore Hyper-V VM and rename... say what?

Now I'm stumped as to why this was overlooked.  Apparently I cannot restore a backup of a VM to another name while the live VM is running.  How am I supposed to test restores?  Do I have to go through the process of not registering the VM in the restore job, create a VM, then tie to the VHD files?

Request to please add the option to rename the VM when it is restored.  The safety feature of having the VM turned off is good if you are restoring the VM to the same location and replacing it, as well as disabling NICs in restored VMs.  That kept me out of trouble on 2012.

DavidPreston
Not applicable

Well I must say I was in two minds about doing this upgrade,
as I was seeing positive and bad reviews on the new backup exc 2014 ... 

And as for Backup exc 2012. Lets just not say anything, and leave it at that.

I downloaded the 2014 Files and ready for action. 

Licence was not going smoothly, so I figured I will sort it out later as I was eager to see this new "100% faster" backup solution at work.

I went ahead and did the trial install and everthing is looking good.  (10am)

A while later installation is done and reboot takes place.

By now I am quiet suprized and have a good feeling about this .. or so I thought.

Server is up .. Backup Exc is Up .. Launching Looking great ..
It then asks to install the latest Update .. 

Ok, go ahead and install the "Update", and thats when the devil awakes.

I am going to skip the messy and bloody painful parts,  and simply say its now  6:40 pm.

And I am stressed as hell and have been trying every fix to get the 2014 services to start up .. and keeps on falling over and over again.

I am not impressed!  

PS  ... 

"When you buy a brand new Car, do you do you have to fix it, to get home ?"  

RLyders
Level 2
Partner

Hi, Upgrading from BE2012 to BE2014 on an SBS 2011 Standrard server. In the Backup Exec Environment Check 2.0 I get a warning about the following:

The Simplified Disaster Recovery feature now requires the Microsoft Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) version 8.0 to create a Simplified Disaster Recovery disk or an image(.iso). ADK version 8.0 is supported only on Windows 2008 and later. You do not need to install the ADK now. The Create Disaster Recovery Disk Wizard guides you through the download and installation of the ADK.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install the ADK version 8 on a SBS2011 server?

Otherwise I suppose that I cant use the SDR functionality in BE2014 anymore right?

Appriciate if anyone has information regarding my problem.