cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to consolidate data on tapes?

USB180
Level 2

Hello,

I am currently working with Backup Exec 2012, and as I did not originally set it up at my organization, I am not sure if there is a simple setting or procedure that can be used to solve this issue.

The issue is happening recently after the backups run overnight, my robotic library is showing multiple tapes that are ready to be ejected, although their is only minimal data being written to each tape. All of the data across 4 tapes would be able to fit onto one tape.

Is there any way to consolidate the data to one tape or is there a setting that can be changed to have them write to fewer tapes automatically?

Thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to look at allowing appends and runnning some appends jobs to the tapes

Which involves looking at your media sets and your job start settings

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

BE 2012 was vulnerable to using more tapes than the admins desired.  One bit of advice is to stagger your job start times.  I suspect that you have multiple jobs and they all do a "shotgun start" at the same time.  If you stagger the start times, by just 5-10 minutes, it should help.  But you may need to spread the start times out even further.  How many jobs are you running and how many tape drives do you have available?

This is exactly how it is set up. I will definitely have to try this. Thank you for the input

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

This old discussion also gives some possilbly relevant advice about adjusting the “Next Job Wait Time”

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/BackupExec-2012-Disable-Auto-Eject-Tape-Library/td-p/671624