cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aofo Initialization failure

Ashok
Level 3
   I am constantly getting this warning on every server as well as on every drive. I tried restarting the server  it dosent work .....

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008523): Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP) cannot snap the specified volume. Restart the target computer, and then run the job again.

I tried restarting the services also I tried changing the default location of AOFO to a drive with enough space
.... Still the same problem

I am also encountering a problem with a mail ... the error goes :

Access denied to file <name>?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Re: Urgent !!!   LTA Draft of <mail>

WARNING: "\\Serverl\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\name?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Re: Urgent !!!   LTA Draft of <mail>" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Ashok,

In the job properties switch go to the AOFO settings and change the job to use VSS writers instead of Auto or VSP.  Run the job again.  I'd like to see if the problem follows the writers.

Regards,

Ashok
Level 3
so should I use Microsoft Volume shadow copy service ??
which one Automatic, system , software or hardware ?? and I read in some other forums that use MSS only if you have Win 2003 servers , but i have some win 2000 servers also ....

So should I do it?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
so should I use Microsoft Volume shadow copy service ??
which one Automatic, system , software or hardware ?? and I read in some other forums that use MSS only if you have Win 2003 servers , but i have some win 2000 servers also ....

So should I do it?

Well the VSS service is only going to be on Win 2003 servers, Win 2000 does not have this service.  I would suggest creating a new backup job just to backup one of the Win 2003 servers using VSS to see if the problem persists with VSS.

Also another thing that you can check:
1. Go to Start -> Run type in msinfo32
2. Expand out Software Environment
3. Select System Drivers
4. Verify vsp is started and running

Ashok
Level 3
VSp is started and running perfectly.

Ashok
Level 3
I will try creating a test job and will see if it works or not ...

Can you please help me with the email problem???

Thanks.      

Ashok
Level 3
Is there any one to help me please ???

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Most corrupt messages with email are a result of a virus scan running at the same time as the backup.   Check to see when your scan is running, relative to your backup window.