cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append jobs stopped working for no obvious reason

Chris_Giles
Level 3
Hi,

Currently using Backup Exec 9.2 Rev 1401 on Netware 5.1 SP8 using an IBM LTO tape library.

Last Friday March 2, for no reason the append jobs I run stopped working. The first job is an overwrite, which works fine, followed by 2 different append jobs which fail. Both append jobs are set to Append to media - terminate if no appendable media is found, which is why I receive the error below. However there is no reason the error should occur the media is fine and has more than sufficient space to append.

Append job 1 from a GroupWise server, ends immediately with the error Job completed: With ERROR - Appendable media was not found for the specified media set

Append job 2 from various Windows Servers ends with the same result.

I have tried recreating and resubmitting the append jobs, submitting to new media, submitting to erased used media, and all fail with the same result.

If I run the append job as overwite or append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is found they work fine.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

Barry_Friedman
Level 2
I am having the same exact difficulty. If I create a backup using a different policy, the job completes. New or existing jobs with the existing policy fail.

Barry

Chris_Giles
Level 3
HI,
I ended up hearing back form Symantec support. They suggested it was related to the DST time change.

I needed to change on my NetWare Backup Exec Admin Console - Go to Media--->Media View--->Select Default Media Set and Press F4.
You need to change the Append Period setting to 10 Years. Save it and try with backup job.

They suggested it was related to DST, however my error began occuring 2 days before we applied the patches for DST.

Regardless their idea worked and the appended jobs now work successfully.

Chris_Giles
Level 3
If you have applied the DayLight Saving patch on your server on your NetWare Backup Exec Admin Console Go to Media--->Media View--->Select Default Media Set and Press F4.
You need to change the Append Period setting to 10 Years. Save it and try with backup job.
This allowed appends to work again.

Barry_Friedman
Level 2
Very strange. But this did the trick. Thanks for your assistance.

Barry