cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append media using backup to disk

beaujoire
Level 5

Hi,

I have a question about the Backup to disk Option.
I backup my data on a Network Attached Storage.It works great when I choose the Option "overwrite Media" in the backup job property.
The Problem is that : I want to Add different backup on the Disk by choosing the option : "Append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available"
But It doesn"t work because BE2010 doesn't recognized support. I've got the following Error :
No appendable media could be mounted. V-79-57344-3862 - Error - Mount failed.Physical Volume Library Media not found.

is it possible to append Data using B2D or can we only use overwrite Option ?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Select the other option "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"

Also configure a media set with proper overwrite prtoection and append period.

beaujoire
Level 5

Backup Exec will not find available support so it will overwrite i think ..

I configure the Media Set with Append Period = always and overwrite protection = 0 hour

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I highly recommend that you only use Overwrite jobs when writing to disk.  Leave the size at the default and let BackupExec worry about what data is in which BKF file

Colin_Weaver

Agree with Ken recommedneation is to start all jobs targetted to disk storage with overwrite unless you are using the option to allocate the maximum size of the bkf file.

Points of note:

1) just because you should not  append to a BKF does not mean you cannot send another job to the same B2D device as it will just create another bkf fiel for the next set. You can even send another job in parallel by enabling the concurrent writes option on the B2D device.

2) IMG folders used by GRT sets do not append anyway (however they may not be reclaimed correctly if you do not start with overwrite)

beaujoire
Level 5

I Lauched a second Job on the B2D device and the BKF file of the first Job was replaced by a new one.It doesn't create another bkf file.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What are the Overwrite and Append settings for that media set? 

Colin_Weaver

Also was the bkf file the one that ir also linked with an IMG folder (because of a GRT backup)

Small BKF files that are used as headers for a GRT only backup jobs are immediately set as overwritable at the end of teh job no matter what your media set as they are not needed any longer.

If you have a mixed standard file system and GRT set then the bkf file won't be small and will contain data so will maintain the overwrite timings