cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are iSCSI LUNs supported as AVVI source with BE 2012 ?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi,

I have some iSCSI LUNs presented to a vSphere v5.x ESX cluster as VMFS datastores - and I'd like to backup the VMs on this array using AVVI to BE 2012.

My question is; are iSCSI LUNs supported as a source of data for BE 2012, or are only FC LUNs supported ?

BTW I have read other posts re not using teaming on the NICs that act as iSCSI initiators on the BE 2012 server - and so will implement MPIO round robin on those.

Thanks,

Dave.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Be doesn't care what the underlying storage architecture is for VMware. If you can see the Virtual Center server, then you will be able to see the VMs located on those LUNs.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, this is supported.

In order to use the 'SAN' transport method, you will have to publish the LUNs to the Backup Exec media server. If this is not possible, you can use the 'NBD' transport method, wich uses the LAN.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The BE 2012 Software Compatibility List (SCL) mentions this as well under the section titled "VMware Storage Configuration Compatibility".

Link to the BE 2012 SCL - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Be doesn't care what the underlying storage architecture is for VMware. If you can see the Virtual Center server, then you will be able to see the VMs located on those LUNs.

Thanks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, this is supported.

In order to use the 'SAN' transport method, you will have to publish the LUNs to the Backup Exec media server. If this is not possible, you can use the 'NBD' transport method, wich uses the LAN.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The BE 2012 Software Compatibility List (SCL) mentions this as well under the section titled "VMware Storage Configuration Compatibility".

Link to the BE 2012 SCL - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

thanks for responses.