cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign job to tape?

adelphi
Level 3

Hi,

I rotate my backup tapes for workday incremental backups. Is it possible to assign a tape to a weekday (job on monday requires tape "MONDAY") or do i have to create different jobs and media sets for that?

Is it possible to include the media name in the email notification, e.g. "insert tape MONDAY" ?

Thanks,

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You cannot assing backup job to a specific tape . backup job can be assing toa tape library , tape drive or a slot in a library if you have partition created in your library .So when you configure a backup job , you cannot point a backup job to run to a tape . Mostly if you have a tape library you create partition in the library and configure the backup to run on a specific partition so the backup runs on the tape which is in that partition and you need to be sure that you have correct tape in the paritition  (i.e Monday tape for monday backup job) and also make sure that the tape can be overwritten.

So at the momen there is not such option throug which you can target a backup job to a tape , you just have to make a stratergy such way that the correct tape gets overwritten on the correct day .

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You may configure a media set with 6 days of Overwrite protection, so that Monday's tape will be 

used on next monday and so on. Create a job for Incremental backup & another for Full with the same 

media set.

adelphi
Level 3

Thanks for your reply!

I already use the setup you described but i doesn't give me the option to include the required tape name within the email notification.

Our office assistant will be responsible for changing the tape in the future but she needs an information which tape to insert. Workday tapes are easy to remember but weekly full backups are more difficult to her...

Currently she uses a calendar which tells her which tape is necessary but i hoped more usefull to include this info into the email...

Thanks,

Daniel

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE will ask for an overwritable media. That's it. 

I believe, the same will be sent as an e-mail notification.

Regards....

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I dont think that option is available in BE.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You cannot assing backup job to a specific tape . backup job can be assing toa tape library , tape drive or a slot in a library if you have partition created in your library .So when you configure a backup job , you cannot point a backup job to run to a tape . Mostly if you have a tape library you create partition in the library and configure the backup to run on a specific partition so the backup runs on the tape which is in that partition and you need to be sure that you have correct tape in the paritition  (i.e Monday tape for monday backup job) and also make sure that the tape can be overwritten.

So at the momen there is not such option throug which you can target a backup job to a tape , you just have to make a stratergy such way that the correct tape gets overwritten on the correct day .

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you create a Vault and use rules accordingly you could set up an alert that will tell you which tapes need to be returned from the Vault.