Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication failed on connection

Mike_H
Level 3
Partner
Hello.
We changed passwords on our admin and service accounts this week.  Since then I cannot get old backup jobs or test jobs to run on remote machines.  The backup services on the backup machine login with this account and password successfully.  The service account I am using is a member of the domain admins group as well as the local administrators group on both the backup server and the remote machine.  The Backup Exec network logon account seems right.  However, when I run a job on a remote machine (I've tried a couple), the jobs almost immediately fail and I get the following messages in the logs:

Final error: 0xa000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server.
Final error category: Security Errors

I've combed through the Symantec forums and it looks like I am doing everything right.  This is Backup Exec version 9.1 running on Windows 2000 Server.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike H
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When the backup jobs were setup, did you just connect as the Service Account, or did you specify the Account and Password in the connect as portion of the job setup?

Mike_H
Level 3
Partner
Thanks for your reply.
The failure occurs on new jobs, as well as old jobs.  It doesn't matter whether I use the default credentials or if I choose another account.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Shouldn't make any difference, but try explicitly adding the BackupExec service account to the Admin group on one of the machines and see if it connects

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Shouldn't make any difference, but try explicitly adding the BackupExec service account to the Admin group on one of the machines and see if it connects

Mike_H
Level 3
Partner
I did that already before I posted.  It didn't change anything.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Got me, then

Sorry