cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoloader Tape Rotation

Raul_Jimenez
Level 2
Hello,
I'm using Backup Exec 10.0 in conjunction with a Dell PowerVault 124T autoloader. I have all my backup jobs configured. I've also created 16 seperate partition (one for each tape) with in Backup Exec. My questions is how do I get the jobs to automatically rotate to the next tape after every backup job. Currently all my jobs fit on one tape. I think I need to use a Policy within Backup Exec but I'm not sue how. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you want one job on each tape, you need to set each individual job to point to the relevant library partition. Each job will then only put it's data into that specific slot.

Raul_Jimenez
Level 2
Understood, however I don't want to have to point each job to the relevant library partition everyday the jobs are scheduled to run. There must be a way to have the jobs automatically rotate to the next partition.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to create separate jobs pointing to the different partitions.

AFAIK, there is no way in BackupExec to have a job pointed a different target devices based on the Day of the Week

Shawn_Hartford
Level 3
Sounds like you created the partitions to prevent tapes been overwritten? You could make fewer partitions with more slots to a partition then use a Media Set to control overwrite and append settings. This would then force the job the next day to use the next tape/slot in the partition as the one it used the day before is still overwrite protected? Not sure if this is what you are looking for....

Raul_Jimenez
Level 2
Currently I have seven jobs (exchange, sql,...) that run an fit onto one tape. The jobs run monday - friday. If I create seperate jobs, that means each job would be duplicated five time one for each day of the week, which would total 35 jobs all together. It seems there must be a more simple method, I hope.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
You basically have two options :

1) Ditch the partitions, and just have all the tapes accessible within the library. Set each job to be an overwrite job, and ensure your overwrite protection period is long enough to prevent any tapes being overwritten before their time.

2) Keep the partitions, and point each job to a specific partition, you will then know which slot has been used by which backups, but you will as you've said have a LOT more jobs to create (though if you're using the default settings within Tools, Options, and the Backup Selections lists properly that shouldn't take too long.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Raul,

Please let us know if the earlier suggesstions were helpful.

================