cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated Disaster Recovery Question

David_Lee_3
Level 3
Hi!

My backup strategy is doing a full backup on every monday and differential backup on daily basis. I have 3 sets of Full Backup/Differential backup to recycled, which meant i'll have 3 generation/set of backup.

If during the recovery process i've chosen "Auto" and i use the .dr file created in the default loc. and alt loc, will it recover the latest set of full backup follow by the differential backup?(will the system intelligent enough to know which set is the latest one and not restored back the old set?)

What's the actual different between "Assisted" and "Manual" in the restoration option screen? If i want to restore the latest Full Backup follow by the Tue, Wed, Thur's differential backup only, which of the above option should i choose?

For the "Auto" option will i be able to choose which set of backup to restore or everything will be automatically restored depending on how current the.dr file is?
If let say i choose an outdated .dr file(no hardware changes) during the "Auto" restoration, will it restore the old set of backup? what happened if the backup set created together with the .dr file, have been erased?

If i'm using CD image with the .dr file burnt into the CD? will the system automaticaly choose the outdated file in the cd or i've the option to choose another .df file?

What;s the .ASR of win2003 for? what's the different to .DR file.

All the question above is with the assumption on no hardware changes. I'm trying to understand the .dr concept.

Pls help to answer my questions above. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote which explains the level of wizard assistance

(title) How to restore a Windows server using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option in Backup Exec 9.x

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262134

(title) How to create an Intelligent Disaster Recovery CD image for Windows NT or Windows 2000 servers with Backup Exec 9.x

http://support.veritas.com/docs/257061

Thanks

David_Lee_3
Level 3
Hi! If i've the following Backup sets(each full backup and differential backup are of different tape even for the same set no.)

3rd Generation(Latest)
Full Backup Set 1(Friday), Differential Backup Set 1(Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sat,Sun)

2nd Generation
Full Backup Set 2(Friday), Differential Backup Set 2(Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sat,Sun)

1st Generation
Full Backup Set 3(Friday), Differential Backup Set 3(Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sat,Sun)

When i do the IDR restore, will i be shown these 3 generation of media? or just the 3rd generation of backup set(latest)?(assuming that i use the latest .dr file)

Thanks.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are you trying to do a remote IDR or local IDR?

it depends on the restore level that you select if you select manual and if all the files have full back you will see all the files under restore

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Lee_3
Level 3
Hi!

Will it make any different if i'm using remote IDR or local IDR? I meant in term of backup set?

Actually my main doubt is that, if i use the old .dr file and i choose "Auto" for IDR restore level. It will only restore the system back to when that old .dr file was created (the old backup)?

If i use the latest .dr file, then it will restore back to the last full backup + the differential backup? From there, during the idr restore, it will automatically prompt me for the full backup and differential backup tape?

In the case of one of my remote server is down, would i still be able to create the latest .dr file from the media server(BackupExec)? do i need to run the idr preparation wizard again or i can just copy the .dr file from the backupexec server into a diskette and use it to scan on the failed server?

Thanks.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

It will be better if you use manual IDR restore as you will be able to select the media manually.

In the case of one of my remote server is down, would i still be able to create the latest .dr file from the media server(BackupExec)?

The answer to this is no.

You will have to do this before hand.

I am giving the IDR steps in brief.If you have any questions please revert.

1. Run a full backup of server
2. Create a bootable CD
3. Burn the bootable ISO image to CD
4. Create the IDR diskettes (Required for Windows XP/Windows 2003)
5. Periodically update the IDR diskettes after every full back.

Now after you have run a full backup you create the Bootable CD, there include the ASR files on the bootable CD.

After this please do the third procedure which is:

Burn the bootable ISO image to CD
Write the image to CD following directions for the software you are using to write to CD-R / CR-RW
When browsing for the file, be sure "*.ipso" or "all files" is selected under "File type" (or equivalent) and navigate to the ISO image

4. please do the following procedure next:

A. From within Backup Exec� go to Tools> Wizards> Intelligent Disaster Recovery Preparation Wizard...

B. Select "Create Media" again then select NEXT

C. Select the computer to be protected

D. D. Select the option to create IDR diskettes only and click NEXT

E. Have 2 blank, formatted floppy diskettes ready and click NEXT

F. Label 1st disk IDR Diskette 1, insert into floppy drive and click NEXT

G. When complete, label 2nd disk IDR Diskette 2, insert into floppy drive and click NEXT

H. Reinsert IDR Diskette 1 into floppy drive to record computer specific data and click NEXT

I. Click FINISH when done. Note the reminders.

J Store the 2 IDR Diskettes along with the bootable CD in a safe place

5. Updating the IDR Diskettes after every full backup

A. From within Backup Exec� go to Tools> Wizards> Intelligent Disaster Recovery Preparation Wizard...

B. Select "Update Media" then select NEXT

C. Select IDR diskettes only and click NEXT

D. Select the computer for which this IDR set was originally created and click NEXT

E. Insert a diskette into the floppy drive (recommended: IDR Diskette 1 and click NEXT

F. Click FINISH when done

G. Store the IDR Diskettes along with the bootable CD in a safe place in case needed.

NOTE: you will need one set of media (CD and Diskettes) for each server to be protected

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.