cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic updates dont work

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
I have setup my automatic updates to update weekly at 10pm and to automaticaly download and install the updates.  It has been this way for the past 10 months or so and not one update has been installed. 

Recently i ran a manual update and i found 10+ hotfixes that needed to be installed.  Why is my automatic updates not working? i dont have the time to manually run updates on my 15 or so backup exec servers.  Is there a Log file or something i can look at to trouble shoot this problem?

thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5

Just doing some further investigation on my servers...  On one server i manually run live update and it says all updates are currently installed, even though under the installed updates section nothing is listed.

On another server i can live update, it says it has to download 12 updates, it runs through and installed a bunch of hotfixes.  Hotfix 6,9,10,11,13,15,16,19,20,21 to be exact.

On another server it says it has 12 updates to install, it runs through and in the Installed updates screen it says service pack 1.

On a bunch of other servers live updates just fails completely.

for such a simple concept (automatic updates) Symantec has really messed this up.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
You really don't want liveupdates running automatically.
They involve a server reboot, so your server goes offline while you're not around.

Updates from Symantec in the past have had a good chance of breaking things (in my case, service pack 4 for version 9.1 bluescreened every machine it was ever installed on) and you DEFINITELY don't want that to happen after you've left on Friday, so that you can come in and find out the hard way on Monday.

Do your updates manually.

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
do you mean run live update manually or download the updates manually myself?