cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D files do not get released when backup finished

ScottW
Level 2
My nightly backups are configured as B2D2T jobs but I am having an issue where the B2D component completes successfully but the B2D file remains "in use", and as a result the D2T component will stay in queued status. There are no corresponding .lck files for the B2D file and no other B2D jobs running. The B2D files do not get held open for all jobs, but there is no pattern to what does and does not get held.

The B2D folder is on a 13Tb volume on Viperblade disk array (RAID 5) and configured in BE as follows:

Maximum size for backup-to-disk files = 250Gb
Allocate maximum size for backup-to-disk files  = ticked
Concurrent Operations = 8
Disk space reserve = 5Gb
Buffered reads = ticked
Buffered writes = ticked

Restarting the BackupExec services will release the B2D files however that is not a valid option most of the time due to other jobs in progress.
I have tried different B2D folder settings with no success and turning some of the above off results in major performance hits.

Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified
When Backup-to-Disk jobs run, a lock file (*.lck) is placed in the Backup-to-Disk folder to stop other jobs from writing to the Backup-to-Disk backup file (*.bak) at the same time (Figure 1).  

Figure 1

The *.lck file is removed after the Backup-to-Disk job completes, but if the Backup-to-Disk job does not get a chance to properly terminate, the *.lck file will remain in the Backup-to-Disk folder. This will cause all subsequent operations to go into a "queued" status indefinitely.

Follow the steps provided below to resolve this issue:

1.  Shut down Backup Exec (tm)

2.  Stop all Backup Exec services

3.  Browse to the Backup-to-Disk folder and delete the *.lck file

4.  Start all Backup Exec services

5.  Run the Backup-to-Disk job(s)

To resolve this issue try reducing the Backup to disk file size to 50 GB or less.

ScottW
Level 2
The backup jobs complete and the .lck file is removed correctly, however the B2D files remain "in use" ie: in the Devices view the B2D file is still green and has the green arrow icon. Also, I have not had any issues with 250 Gb sized B2D files on another backup server here.

Going through the event logs, the only error that appears to be related to the issue is the following:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 33808
Date: 28/08/2009
Time: 01:23:07
User: N/A
Computer: WSKE001BAK

Description:

An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Changer: MoveMedium() Attempt to Dismount to Already Loaded Slot (B2DDrv3.12). Error=1

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml