cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D - how to carve up 15TB SAN?

MitchR
Level 6

I will soon have an old SAN available for use as a backup-to-disk destination.  Currently using Backup Exec v12.5 on Windows 2008 Standard.

What's the recommendation for drive sizes?  I'm tempted to make a single 15 Terabyte volume, but I shudder at the thought of doing a CHKDSK on that monster.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

smtp25
Level 3

You can only have 1 dedupe folder per media server so you do have to have one monster 15TB drive

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi,

You can refer to Best Practices for and the "Backup to Disk" feature :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH15743

teiva-boy
Level 6

It really depends on your backup sizes.  

Perhaps you want to size the B2D's to within (job size) x (days to keep) = Each B2D size.

Having multiple B2D's in the end, one for file data, one for email, one for database, etc..

Perhaps upgrade to BE2010 R2, and leverage deduplication in that monster 15TB volume?  This way you can store more with less.  Imagine never having to restore from tape for months back?  

Though, I will say, that usually multiple smaller B2D's are a better process, and also use the largest possible allocation unit possible when formatting.  Lastly, get a good defrag app to run on those volumes, as BE can do a fantastic job of fragmenting those volumes and slowing down write performance.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Munir,

That technote refers to v10d and below Removeable B2D, and says nothing at all about how to logically allocate a large physical drive (SAN) 

smtp25
Level 3

You can only have 1 dedupe folder per media server so you do have to have one monster 15TB drive