cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D job hung at loading media

Michelle_Dupu1
Level 2
I'm running Backup Exec (10.1 rev 5689) on a Windows server, and backing up to a network share (another PC with a locally attached USB drive). I have added the remote share as a Removable B2D device on the BE server, and am trying to backup to the share now. However, the job is stuck at "Loading Media", and I have an alert asking me to insert overwriteable media.

What is going on? What media? The share is empty, and the meda set has no overwrite protection. I see that BE created the \VERITAS\B2D folders as well as the Changer.cfg and Folder.cfg files on the share (so r/w access is ok). I have applied all patches , etc. but this jobs is stuck! I'm backing up a single local file for the test. (Error is below) WHen I created the

As a test, I created a B2D folder on my local drive, and the job runs immediately! I confirmed r/w access from the BE computer,

When I inventory the drive, I see "e0008214 - Library error - source location is empty."

Please help
Thanks,
MD

---------------------

Error 58061
Backup Exec Alert: Media Insert
(Server: "FPS") (Job: "Single file backup test") Please insert overwritable media into the Backup-to-Disk device.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.
11 REPLIES 11

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Removeable B2D folders are used for CD-RW's, DVD-RW's, Zip drives, etc that are on the local computer. Since this is a network share, please use a regular Backup to Disk folder for your destination.

Brad Willadsen
Symantec

Backup Exec for Windows Servers Free E-mail Support
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/email_forms/intro_emailsup.asp

Michelle_Dupu1
Level 2
I tried that approach before, but got a different problem. So, I just switched it back to a B2D folder and...

when I start the backup job I see "Loading media" and then it switches to "Queued". There is an alert stating that "The backup to disk device is out of free space!"

However, this disk is empty (500GB free). I see the new changer.cfg and folder.cfg created in the root of the drive, so r/w acces is not a problem.

What next? One potential clue...when I first created the B2D folder it had a green arrow on it (showing ready I assume), which dissappeared with seconds (now just a folder icon) in the device list.

Thanks,
M

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
Michael,

What type of server is this USB drive attached to?

Also, on the BE media server, can you open the same share from Start > Run, and copy a file into it? The default permissions on shares is Read only, not Write, which could also cause a problem.

Brad Willadsen
Symantec

Backup Exec for Windows Servers Free E-mail Support
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/email_forms/intro_emailsup.asp

Michelle_Dupu1
Level 2
I confirmed that the BE machine has r/w access to the share (BE created changer.cfg and folder.cfg so it must have write access).

The share is on a linux machine running SAMBA. I saw one article about samba incompatability - BUT, this same setup is working at another client site! (i.e. BE backup to a share on a USB drive plugged into a Linux box running SAMBA).

Can you tell me what BE is doing - i.e. what test it is doing for free space? Maybe there is a setting I can change on the SAMBA side to change behaviours? Any ideas?

Thanks,
M

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
Michael,

Do you have a disk space reserve setup, and are you using pre-allocation (Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files)?

This also could be a compatability issue with Samba. Have you moved the device to a Windows server, and attempted the same operation?

Michelle_Dupuis
Level 4
I do not have a disk space reserve (i.e. set to 0 GB)

I'm not sure what pre-allocation is, but I set the maximum file size to 100GB on this B2D folder. Should I change this?

I haven't tried another windows server (Not an option at this client)...

M

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
Michael,

I would recommend setting the B2D file size down to something a little smaller, like 4GB or smaller. When using B2D over the network, Windows SMB sometimes has a hard time dealing with very large files (especially when it's talking to non windows servers), and you may end up in a situation where you are unable to read the data, from across the network.

There is a checkbox in the properties of your B2D folder labeled Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files. Is this selected?

Michelle_Dupuis
Level 4
I checked the properties of my newly created B2D folder, and there is no property called 'allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files' - or anyting similar.

Is this in version 10.1 ?

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
In 10.1, that setting did not exist. I appologize for missing that. I assumed it was 11d, since this is the 11d forum. You could install Hotfix 27 for 10.1, which will add Pre Allocation functionality. That can be found here:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/283264.htm

Michelle_Dupuis
Level 4
I applied the patch, but still don't see an option for allocating the space. (Again, I'm running 10d - sorry for the wrong forum). Am I missing somthing?

Maybe this is a clue: The B2D folder worked for a while, and in the associated icon (in the devices tab), had a green arrow on it. Now that the B2D folder is misbehaving there is NO arrow on the folder icon. When I inventory the B2D device, the green arrow appears (flashes) and the job succeeds, but then dissappears again.

What does the great arrow mean? What does the absence of ANY arrow/sign on the folder icon mean? (i've seen the paused icon, and offline icons, and it's not those)

M

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
For 10d, there is a registry key you need to change. That is in the Technote where you downloaded the patch.

The green arrow means that the folder is active, and that a job is using it.