cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D jobs jumping between disk pool members

JRich664
Not applicable
Good Evening,

We just purchased an Idealstor removable SATA II disk backup appliance and are having a very annoying problem with the media pool usage after setting up the machine and BE11d over the weekend.

This appliance contains 6 removable bays, each holding a 750GB disk (Drive letters E-J). I have two Drive Pools configured -- four disks reserved for weekend Full backups, and the remaining two disks used for daily Differentials. I created Removable B2D Folders per Idealstor's documentation with 1GB reserved and 40GB set for the 'Maximum backup-to-disk files' setting. I also set the pool priority to 1,10,20, and 30 for drives E-H. I want them to completely fill up before jobs start writing to another disk.

Now for the problem -- the very first backup job I set up was to fully back up our 1.2TB primary file server. It began with disk E, but when it reached the 40GB limit, instead of creating another .bkf file on that disk, it created one on G, then next moved to F, then H... you get the idea. I have four disks that are all partially used. The job didn't even follow the disk priority settings set in the media pool (E -> F -> G -> H).

I spoke with Idealstor, and their initial reaction was that these settings *should* work, and have in previous BE versions. Their suggestion was to increase the limit to ~697GB so the disks are guaranteed to completely fill before moving on, but I have read that this can adversely affect performance.

Any suggestions?
0 REPLIES 0