cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

B2D woes...

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4
Hopefully someone can help here. Although I'm not convinced this is a BackupExec issue, BEWS is defintely involved and I can't think of a better place to post this...
Server is an HP ML 350 G4p, running SBS 2003 SP1. 2 GB RAM, 72 GB HDs mirrored with a SmartArray641. BEWS 10d SP3
I have been struggling to get the backup working properly, using USB hard drives. I sold this client 5 - 2.5" HDs in those little USB enclosures you can buy. I have the same setup at another clients (although the server is one generation older, it's the same model). At this other site, they backup about 75 GB in about 5 hours. Here it takes about 7 hours to backup 26 GB.
I can't even list all the things I've tried, like two different USB cards (HP doesn't support USB hard drives with their own USB interfaces), formatting the drives with different sector sizes, increasing the .bkf file size, doing the file allocation registry hack...
Tonight, I reformmated the drive (again) and recreated the Remov. B2D device and started a backup. That was an hour ago, and the job is still "Loading Media".
Other problems I've encountered include an agonizing process whenever I try to cancel a running job. The "Cancel Pending" mesage won't go away (I waited 4 days) and if I try to restart the services, the Job Engine service gets stuck - it ends up being a 30 minutes job just to cancel a darned job.
Ther are more and more of you on this tie that have at least dabbled in USB drives as an alternative to tape - can anyone help me?
0 REPLIES 0