cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP EXEC 12.5 Backing up fails from a remote agent

justinn91
Level 3
hello guys im facing a problem in backing up a remote server agent to the tape through a media server the installation is as follows i have installed BE 12.5 for Windows servers on the media server and the remote agents as well and installed the agent utility on the remote servers with BE 12.5 for Windows servers license (i know i should install BE12.5 Agent for windows but it was purchased by mistake the windows server licence instead of the agent license) it was working fine in the begining now the following error is appearing License Violation A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec. Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec. Access to the device \\EG1-NAS-01.dcsdom.PCN.Intra\D: is not authorized with this edition of the product. Job ended: Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:44:40 AM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec. Final error category: Other Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37912 License Violation A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec. Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec. Access to the device \\EG1-NAS-01.dcsdom.PCN.Intra\D: is not authorized with this edition of the product. sooo any advice please
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hmm. In that case you can only backup 1 server as you have 1 remote agent. The only option i see over here is to run it in evaluation for 60 days and try to get the remaining raws licenses in this period. Instead of throwing them you can contact licensing or the reseller who sold them to you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

justinn91
Level 3
please advice

sksujeet
Level 6
All the licenses should be installed on the Backup Exec server, the server on which you have 12.5 installed.
It is the remote agent that gets installed on the remote server that needs to be backed up.
On your media server go to tools - installs options and license key and make sure you have a remote agent license for it.
If not you have to have a license for it to backup a remote server.

justinn91
Level 3
well first thanks for ur quick reply
but as i ve told u i dont have  agent license i only have BE12.5 windows server licenses which ive installed on the remote servers
im asking if that can work (BE12.5 windows server licenses  instead of BE12.5 remote agent license on the remote agent Servers)
i tried to add these license on the media servers but it overwrite the existing one as the existing one is just the same
so for now i have one license on the media server (BE12.5 windows server licenses ) and on each agent server the same license (BE12.5 windows server licenses )
as ive purchased by mistake (BE12.5 windows server licenses ) instead of (BE12.5 remote agent license)

sksujeet
Level 6
Ahh. See in that case you will end up installing BE 12.5 on your servers and can backup those server itself but you can't backup any remote server from this server on which you have BE 12.5 installed as you don't have remote agent license with you. Talk to licensing or the person from where you got this and tell them to give you remote agent as you need remote agent licenses to backup remote servers.

Example: if you have five 12.5 core license then you can install BE 12.5 on 5 servers and backup those server itself but no remote serer can be backed up.

You should have one 12.5 core license and 4 remote agent license in this case to make it simple

justinn91
Level 3
mmmmmmm soo these licenses (BE12.5 windows server licenses ) cant act as remote agent license !!!!!!!
but when ive installed the software with that license there was a utility named agent utility for BE
i thaught it will work as u know the license that i have is much more general and expensive than the remote agent license
so how come it cant just act as a remote agent?????
thats realy frustrating
again thanks for ur replyyyyyy

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Justin,

The media license would allow you to backup local files and System State on a server. To backup another server, you would need the RAWS agent (Remote Agent for Windows Server). This is licensed and installed via a local install on that server, or via a push install from your media server.
To backup applications like Exchange, SQL, Lotus Notes etc, you need again agent again. If not, you'd still be able to backup Exchange for example, but would then have to run scripts to dismount the Information Store, backup the flat files, and then remount the IS etc. A lot harder...
Best bet is to invest in the appropriate agent licenses.

In your case, if you have purchased another full license for BE 12.5, it would be overkill unless you intended using it on that server as a full install, and had hardware to backup too...
Laters!

sksujeet
Level 6
It is a core license and can't act as a remote agent. You have to get the remote agent to make it work, there is no other way round to it. Also there is no use of core licenses if you are not using them, unnecessary wastage of money. If you want 1 be server and couple of servers to be backed up then get the remote agent license.

justinn91
Level 3
okkkk i get ur points
well for now i only have one BE12.5 remote agent
shall i uninstall the software from the remote servers and install only the remote agent utility 
and add this license on the media servers
but the problem i have only one agent license and i have 8 remote servers so can it work for a while untill i make another purchase order
but it may take more than 3 months so it will exceed the evaluation period
or u can suggest any other solution to utilize these (BE12.5 windows server licenses ) instaed of just throwing them away

sksujeet
Level 6
Hmm. In that case you can only backup 1 server as you have 1 remote agent. The only option i see over here is to run it in evaluation for 60 days and try to get the remaining raws licenses in this period. Instead of throwing them you can contact licensing or the reseller who sold them to you.

sksujeet
Level 6
Please mark it as solution if it helped you

justinn91
Level 3
well thanks alot for ur help
it realy cleared my vision
but one last favour do u know how much does it cost BE agent license

sksujeet
Level 6
You can check the cost for all the agents on this site
http://www.symantec.com/business/products/purchasing.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=57_1

As per it the RAWS will cost
$695.26