cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP EXEC 2010 R2

tunji
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I have Exchange server 2007 with full backup. Can I create INTELLIGENT DISASTER RECOVERY for this exchange

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...moved to a new forum discussion!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you taking the backups of all the resources on the server and not only Exchange resources then YES you can create IDR for this server.

First of all on the Media server go to TOOLS>>INSTALL OPTIONS AND LICENSE KEYS and then select the Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) option,

Then take a Full backup of the server which needs to be protected in IDR.

Then create the IDR Disk for the server.

Thanks,

-Sush...

tunji
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

thanks,

Which option can i install for my exchange apart from AGENT FOR EXCHANGE

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only other way to back up Exchange is a flat-file backup (the *.stm, *.edb etc). However, you need to stop the Exchange services to get to those files, and therefore bring down your environment. Once the backup completes, you can start up Exchange and bring up the Information Store again.

However, you're:

a] causing down-time for your company;

b] have to script the Exchange services stop/start and make sure that actually works. BE can kick off a pre- and post- batch file to do this;

c] manually clear your logs, as doing the backup this way doesn't commit the logs to the Information Store. Therefore you'd have to use NTbackup to do this.

d] unable to do live backups/restores of Exchange data, so you're going to have to get downtime for restores as well, and buy more software to pull the data out of the *.edb file.

All in all, I'd suggest taking the plunge for the agent...it really makes life easier!

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Bear in mind that The Exchange Information Store is a separate backup set within the job and to restore an Information Store the Exchange services have to be able to start (which is nto true withinbt the IDR wizard itself.

As such IDR puts back the Operating System and Exchange progarm files however the Information Store itself requires a separate manually created restore job,

Basically IDR is not a single pass restore when it comes to restoring database technologies such as Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint etc