cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUPEXEC 9.1 Exchange Logs not flushed 2003

paul_mama
Level 3
Hello

I am running backup exec 9.1 (4691) on Windows 2003 with Exchange Server 2003 SP1.

I am performing a Full backup of exchange, and the logs are not being flushed!

backup exec has be removed/reinstalled - no effect

This is occuring at 4 sites using identical configurations/software

can anyone help???
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Are you backing up Information Store also ?
The transaction logs are flushed only when you are taking a full or incremental backup of the Information Store of Exchange 2003. Individual mailbox backup will not flush the transaction logs.

If you are backing up Information Store and still if the logs are not being flushed then the solution is given below.
Backup Exec sends signals to ESE in Exchange to flush the logs. It has been seen that, the ESE in Exchange receives the command from VERITAS Backup Exec to flush the logs, but ESE does not respond to the command, because it considers the logs as necessary.
This can be a sign of some corruption, especially if no logs at all are being flushed for a long time and there's a massive accumulation of logs within Exchange 2003. This condition can also occur, if some other utility has marked a logs as being in use. But in fact, they are not. This condition will prevent Exchange from flushing the logs.
To resolve the issue:
1. Stop all Backup Exec services
2. Backup the Exchange using NTbackup. Running a backup with NTBackup will flush the logs.
3. Start Backup Exec services.
4. After this initial purging of the logs, Backup Exec will subsequently flush the logs when Full and incremental backups are done.

The above steps will resolve the issue, if the logs are not flushed when you do a full or incremental backup of Information Store.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

paul_mama
Level 3
Hello

Thank you for the reply

I have done as requested but unfortunately the NTBackup did not flush the logs ?

Can you please advise a possible solution ??? (its becoming quite urgent as on 4 sites)

Many Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You don't have circular logging enabled on those servers, do you?

paul_mama
Level 3
Hi

Thanks for the reply - circular logging is not enabled

paul_mama
Level 3
Hello

I have now installed SP3 for Backupexec 9.1 and the logs are still not being flushed.

I have also run a comcheck and found no errors

Can you please advise

paul_mama
Level 3
can anyone help on this?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
If you have stopped all Veritas services, run an NTBackup, and it has not flushed the logs, the issue appears to be more with your Exchange environment than Veritas, as you have just shown that even when not used, you still have the problem.

When you did an NTbackup, did you definitely backup the "Information Store" and not just a set of files on your hard disk?

Do you have any sort of pollicy which may be overriding the circular logging setting?

You may need to lodge a Microsoft support call.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Pail,
Please ensure that the entire information store is selected for backup, you should see a checkmark near the information store selection box, and not just a dash.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

paul_mama
Level 3
thanks for the reply - the entire store is selected ? any ideas?