Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10.0 SBS migrate to Web edition

Marc_Pelletier
Level 3
Hello,

The title says it all.

I am running BE 10.0 Small Business Server Edition (premium) on win2k3 SBS. We  would like to migrate backup exec onto a new server running Win2k3 Web Edition.

Its clear that the regular version of 10.0 would do this, but I wonder what will happen to our smal business version? Anybody know?

Marc Pelletier
Goldak Airborne Surveys
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If you are going to move Backup Exec to a different server you will need to get all new licenses.  1 license for the media server and a license for every remote agent you will need.  So if you want to continue to backup everything on the SBS server you will need to purchase the following agents, Exchange, SQL and Sharepoint.  Also 10.0 is no longer available, so you will only be able to get licenses for 12 or 12.5.  The SBS license will not install on a non SBS server.

Marc_Pelletier
Level 3
Thanks Ben,

To give a fuller picture, we are migrating our existing sbs server onto a virtual machine under VMWare. Our tech support doing the migration is quite certain that VMWare will not coexist properly with our tape library (IBM 3624), so we would like to leave the tape hooked up to the old server, which will now be running the web edition.

We have a remote agent client for that box. Can I use the remote agent agent to control the tape drive and run server on the virtual server?

Is there any way I can make the connection?

If I buy a v12 server licence for the web server box, will it connect to and work with the v10 sbs suite on the virtual server?

Marc Pelletier

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can I use the remote agent agent to control the tape drive and run server on the virtual server? - No.

Is there any way I can make the connection? Again, no.  You will have to install a full version of Backup Exec to control the tape drive.

If I buy a v12 server licence for the web server box, will it connect to and work with the v10 sbs suite on the virtual server? Yes and No, it will connect to it and use it's remote agent to backup to the v12 server, but it will only backup the file system.  You will need to purchase all new licenses as I stated above for each option you want to backup on the SBS server (SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint).

On a side note, what version of VMWare are they planning on using?  The reason I ask is because in my lab I use ESX 3.5 with an HP tape library. The Windows server I have given acces to the tape drive / library does not have any problems running it.  I would have your Tech Support people actually test this before they make you purchase additional licenses for Backup Exec.