cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10.1 instability drives us crazy!

Tom_Nattl
Level 3
Don't want to bother anyone with all the other little problems we're having since upgrading to 10.1.

But here is one that's so serious that if we cannot get it fixed within the next couple of weeks my boss told me to replace "that software".

Without changing config whatsoever on the machines, starting a few days ago we keep getting non-recoverable crashes of the local agent installed on the BE server. We almost got used to the fact that remote agents crashed. But if the local agent crashes on you, too, then it's the end of the backup story.

The log will state "The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.". Moments later the local agent will crash. Event log states:

Application Failure beremote.exe 10.1.5629.0 in kernel32.dll 5.2.3790.1830 at offset 00015dea.

That's it. No other error signs except system event log (of course) stating that "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" terminated unexpectedly multiple times.

Overall result is: A lot of servers/resources don't get backed up at all - AND THIS IS SERIOUS. You have to manually click your way through the logs in order to find out which machines got backed up and which not. We find ourselves manually restarting the BE agent service over and over again.

This truly is unbearable. Does anybody have an idea?

I can live with complicated setups, confusing GUIs et al, but not with a backup software being unstable and unreliable.

And please, don't tell me it's all our fault. BE agents crashing on multiple machines with different configs all over the place has been our number one experience with BE 10.1 from the very beginning which we hadn't at all when we were using BE 8.x before.

Cheers
Tom (a.k.a. the alpha software tester)
3 REPLIES 3

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Have you checked the version of the your backup client remote agents? You can do this from the BE Server by going through the Backup selection list and right-clicking on each client to view the remote agent version. are they all version 10.1.5629 ? There have been reports of crashes when the remote agent authentication vulnerability patch is not uniformly applied. This would not apply to you if all your agents are the latest.

Tom_Nattl
Level 3
Yes, all the agents are version 10.1.5629.

Cheers
Tom

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technotes to troubleshoot this issue further:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280285

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278397

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.