cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server crashes during veritas tape device driver installation

Monika_Kacela
Not applicable
Hi,

i have windows SBS2003 standard server with backup Exec 10d and Sony AIT 550SDX tape device. When intially installing backup exec i chose to install veritas drivers for my tape device and the server blue screened with a msg saying stop 0x000000c2 BAD_POOL_CALLER. I had to stick wioth Sony original drivers for the tape unit but i do experience occasional backup probems; i.e the server crashes during an overnight backup and restarts itself. There are no errors in event viewer other than 'the previous shutdown was unexpected'. I suspect that these crashes are caused by bad driver as both Symantec and Sony advie to use Veritas drivers with backup exec. I am however unable to install them on my server. I was wonderting if there were any specific tape device drivers for backup exec 10d for windows small business server 2003 as the ones i installed were for windows server 2003 which i know is a similar but not the same OS. Please help, i'm running out of options here!

thanks
1 REPLY 1

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please review the following to isolate and resolve this issue:
Driver Verifier (verifier.exe) is a diagnostic tool that is included with Windows XP, 2000, and 2003. The utility is primarily used to troubleshoot issues with improperly written drivers. If this feature is enabled on a machine, it will usually cause the machine to blue screen if any drivers are found to be not digitally signed. The Backup Exec tape device drivers, robotic library support and Advanced Open File Option (VSP.SYS) are all drivers that are not digitally signed. Because of this, Symantec does not recommend having this option enabled on production or business critical machines that have either the Advanced Open File Option or the Backup Exec Device Drivers installed. If the option has been enabled and a machine bluescreens because of it, perform the following steps to boot up in a normal operating mode:
For further information on Verifier.exe, refer to the following MS Q Articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325672
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251233/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244617
1. Boot the server in the safe mode .
2. Change the startup type on the Backup Exec Services to manual.
3. Browse in Window Explore to the C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT Folder. Locate the file TapeInst.exe and double click on it. Select to un-install and remove all Veritas device drivers from your system. Click Next until the wizard completes.
4. Reboot the machine and log on in the normal operating mode.
To be able to use the Veritas Device Drivers on the machine, perform the following steps:
1. Confirm that the proper driver updates have been applied to the machine's SCSI/Raid, Network Card(s), Video Card, etc. In most cases, it is best to obtain the drivers from the machine manufacturer's site.
2. Search in Windows Explorer for the file "verifier.exe" and double click on it.
3. Select to "Delete existing settings"
4. Click Finish and reply YES when prompted to delete all verifier settings and exit the program.
5. Re-install the latest Veritas Drivers.
6.Restart the Backup Exec Services.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.